Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baker got to SUP!

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by bkzoo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Baker got to try out my paddle board yesterday! He was funny - while we were taking baby steps, with me sitting down, he was moving around quite a bit, trying to drink the water, chasing my paddle. All that changed when he slipped off a bit. He was on a leash, so i was able to pull him right back on...but he was sticking to me like glue after that!

We eventually got to where I could stand, with Baker sitting quietly. Of course he had to sit facing me...maybe the result of our obedience training? Pretty funny sight. :lol:

On a side note - the life jacket will be returned to the store. This is the third one that we have brought home. It is so hard to find the right size since he weighs so little (12.8 lbs) but has a broad chest (15-16 in). When we were done with the SUP I gently put him in the water to see how he would swim. He did the dog paddling right away, but his face was "sinking". I'm thinking there was maybe too much jacket holding his back out of the water, forcing his head down? This jacket even has the little flap under the chin to supposedly keep his head up, but it sure didn't work.

Oh well, it was a fun little adventure. I hope everyone had a great & safe 4th!

Attached Files:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that looks like fun- I bet Baker really had a good time surfing with mom:yes:

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    How cool! And what a great pic. Definitely frame that one :)

4. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    He did so well! I bet all the other doggies were jealous of him out there paddle-boarding. Hope you can find a proper fitting life vest for him, he needs to be out there every weekend now :wink2:!

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh, how sweet and funny pictures :yes:

Where is Baker really cute in his little life jacket

It must be so fun to be dog in your family - sure Minnie is quite envious :lol:

6. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Such cute photos!

7. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    He needs to be in competition, such neat pictures.

8. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Baker is adorable! That looks like so much fun :smile2:

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks all! I absolutely love my SUP - even though we only bought it last Fall. The lake at our campground is no wake - perfect for this!

I am going to continue with Baker baby steps on this - goal is to get him to relax, enjoy the quietness and watching fish as we glide by...

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OMG!!! That is the cutest EVER!!!

Mom did a GREAT job making sure Baker was safe with the life vest!

Just LOVE those pictures... what a HAPPY FACE Baker has!!

... as if to say, LOOK AT ME! Just precious! :biggrin2: