Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wanted...Rescue

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Trip, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga
    I think the sheltie we were looking rescue to has fallen through at this point. The rescue is not responding to emails or phone calls, never got a response to how our application and interview went... So me and my wife are back at looking to rescue.

We would prefer a female 1-4 years old. Prefer sables and bi blues. We are willing to go through application and home interviews. We are in Chattanooga, TN. Both of the close rescue orgs don't show any rescues right now. We will start checking non local ones and keeping watching pet finder, would appreciate it if y'all know of any that might fit our preferences and will try to answer any questions y'all have to help us find a new pup.

2. Fergusmom

Fergusmom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009
    UP of Michigan
    Even if the rescues close to you do not show available dogs should still turn in an application. Most of them will do the interview and home study and approve you in advance. If a Sheltie comes in that they feel is the right fit for you they will call you. Some shelties that come into rescue go immediately to preapproved homes and never make it to the website. I know the rescue Baxter came from places a lot of dogs that way. Might be worth checking into.

3. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga
    Thanks, put my application into the other semi local sheltie rescue this morning. Will probably also put in my application into the Georgia and Alabama rescues as well.

Selena Wohlslagel likes this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I seem to recall a posting for one in your area recently. Check the rescue threads I cannot find it but I was thinking there was a TN Sheltie needing rescue that was a merle....

5. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga
    My posts are still coming up way behind cause I am still in moderation,.

The one up in Roane County was adopted and I believe there were two in Nashville, but they wanted to adopt them out as a pair from what I remember. I would of snapped up the roane county one fast, but I was still waiting to hear back from the local rescue org about the one I did the home interview with, but it looks like I won't be hearing from them.

I was talking to someone famaliar with rescues that said this is how they usually deny your application, they just don't respond or let you know anything. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? I have no problem if they wanted to deny me, but I would definitely like to know I have been denied and maybe why so I can try to fix it or if I can even fix the issue.

6. hrcarol

hrcarol Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    Would you consider a mix? There's a Sheltie mix at the Cobb Animal Control (NW Atlanta suburbs). He looks really cute in the pictures.

7. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga
    I would rather a purebred, preferably sable/bi-blue/blue merle.

There was actually one in Alpharetta I applied on in Petfinder (Duffy), but another lady applied first and got him.

I am working with some other rescues looking for one that matches our preferences. I feel bad for not looking at mixes and some of the other colors, but I want to make sure we get a dog we are happy with so we don't rescue and find out it is not what we wanted and return the animal. I don't want to be that person, so I am making sure we stick to our preferences.

8. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Have you tried sheltiesearch.com (created by one of our very own on the forums)?

At least you'll see what is out there, or around you.

9. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga

Did not know about that one, will check it out.

10. hrcarol

hrcarol Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    Don't feel bad about that! I understand I have 2 purebred Shelties.:biggrin2: I think Sheltie Rescue of GA has a lot of dogs right now. If you see a Sheltie at an all breed rescue, apply right away they always go fast unless they are older or have a health problem.