Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nasal cancer ... is this true?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by LuvMySable, Sep 30, 2009.

1. LuvMySable

LuvMySable Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2008
    Delaware
    I was disturbed by something that I read recently in the Tufts University newsletter for dog owners. It said that Shelties (as well as collies) are 'particularly susceptible' to nasal cancer. One of the symptoms mentioned was sneezing. My 2 1/2 year old boy Jack sneezes 4 -5 times a day. Of course, since reading this, I'm terrified each new time he sneezes.

Have any of you ever heard this before? Jack is my first Sheltie (and first dog) and I had read a lot before adopting him, and I never read ANYTHING like that. Now, I'm listening to his breathing very carefully and basically scared.

I don't want to be paranoid, and don't want to put Jack through going to the vet for no reason. Please, anyone, have you ever heard this before?

Thank you for reading and answering.

2. ruckusluvr

ruckusluvr Forums Enthusiast

the border collie that I used to have probably had nasal cancer. He had to be PTS before we actually knew anything.

he sneezed all the time. it was fits. he would have a few sneezing fits a day, usually about 25-30 sneezes each time. He would usually sneeze out blood or puss.

3. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I've never heard of this! Smudge sneezes all the time, and so did Gizmo. I always thought it was just allergies or something. :uhoh:

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I have never met a sheltie that died of nasal cancer (or any dog actually). I cant see how they would be more prone to a particular type of cancer - did they say why (from a human health perspective it doesnt make sense)? I have met a lot of shelties and dogs (my own included) who sneeze a lot from allergies. Tully had her spring allergy shot today - poor things was licking like crazy, sneezing and had gunky eyes.

According to British Kennel Club survey, shelties dont die from cancer any more than other breeds. If I remember rightly, they do tend to have a higher kidney failure problem than average but that was about the only difference.

5. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I've read that long nosed breeds can be more susceptible to nasal cancer, although I've never known of a dog who died of it.

Our local sheltie rescue will not allow smokers to adopt, for that reason.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    That's interesting. There has been a bit of a push here to encourage smokers to give up for their pets.

I think with the sneezing - if it was cancer related there would probably be bloody noses as well.

7. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    Erynjoyce's dog Cayman passed away from nasal adenocarcinoma just back in June. He definitely had problems with bleeding. They were very devoted to each other and I have not seen her on this site since he passed away June 16th. I hope that she is doing well; I know that she was very, very attached to her baby and was exhausting all options trying to save him; and then trying to keep him comfortable.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Yes, Cayman died in June. I'm happy to report that Eryn was able to open her heart to a Sheltie puppy once more. Brulee is adorable. I have such admiration for Eryn's courage -- if you only knew what she and Cayman went through!

9. LuvMySable

LuvMySable Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2008
    Delaware
    Thank you for replying. I guess I feel a little better about the sneezing, for there is no sign of blood or any fluid from Jack's nose. I was sorry to read about Cayman. We love them so dearly, it hurts when we can't help them. I believe that St. Francis looks after our angels, until we see them again.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Shelties are more prone to nasal cancer due to their long noses but that form of cancer is rare in dogs and almost always has nasal discharge along with the sneezing.

Sneezing can be a sign of excitement in some dogs. I had a beagle mix that sneezed when never she got excited so much so that I taught her to sneeze on command. Funny thing, once I taught her to sneeze on command she never did it unless I asked her. kinda like teaching a dog to bark so you can teach it not to.