Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I can't remember if I gave interceptor or not this month, should I skip it?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by KarenCurtis, Dec 21, 2010.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I don't want to overdose Sandstorm on interceptor, I don't remember giving it or not this month, should I skip it? Is there a real danger in giving it twice, thanks,
    Karen

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

When I've forgotten (yes, it does happen!) I've just skipped it, though I can normally figure out that I missed by the number of doses left....and yes, I missed my November dose too!

3. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Mally is on Interceptor as well. If I forget, I just skip that month. Especially in the winter months, it is not as big a deal to skip a month.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I wouldn't take the chance of giving it twice. The month my daughter got married a few years ago, I completely forgot to dose my dogs, also on Interceptor. I called the vet (by this time it was closer to two months!) and he said if I was worried to bring them in for heartworm tests, but most likely they'd be fine if I just picked up the dose then.

These heartworm medications work backward, not forward, so you are dosing for the month that is past, not the one ahead. Odds are if the weather's been cold you'll be OK waiting till the next dose would be due.

Since I forget these things the minute I do them, I keep a post-it note on the box and mark the date whenever I give it, so I don't forget.

5. Little Girl

Little Girl Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2010
    Northeast PA
    Labeling

I had to begin writing the month to be given and the date on the back of the cellophane pack. It saves me from questioning whether or not I have given Aria her pill. Hope this helps!

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm a disaster at remembering, so I subscribed free to a service that emails me when it's time to dose!

http://www.remindmypet.com/

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I got mine on iCal in my Mac. And still struggle clocks are my kryptonite :eek:

8. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    That's a great website/resource. Thanks for sharing!

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I've just bookmarked it too! Terrific!

10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thankyou all for your helpful answers. I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets the minute I do these things!! And I am checking off on the calendar when I give the dose.
    Thanks,
    Karen