Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

To many supplements?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Tabitha, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Am I giving my dogs to many supplements? I give them mainly Pro-Sense brands, yes it is a Walmart brand but it works. The supplements are...

Pro-Sense Adult Vitamins
    Pro-Sense Puppy Vitamins (only for the pups of course)
    Cosequin Joint health supplement (for my old man)
    1 tbs of pure pumpkin puree (its good for poo eating dogs:ick) and
    Pro-sense Skin & Coat liquid supplement

I'm thinking about cutting out the Skin & Coat and replacing it with fish oil or coconut oil? Just to get some natural supplements in there. Am I giving them to much? Should I cut others? Can there be any long term effect I should be worried about? The only one I would always get no matter what, if I was down to nickels and dimes, is the joint supplement. I tried almost everything I could afford to help my old boy's hips but nothing worked until I discovered Cosequin. I would swear by it ANY day of the week, month, or year!

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Yes.

But I am not a supplement fan, except for *specific* ailments, so take with a grain of salt.

If you have a dog with joint issues, then give the Cosequin.
    If you have a dog with liver issues, then give milk thistle, or whatever.

But for general purposes, I feel that a dog that gets a good variety of whole foods with their regular food have no need of supplements. I used to give fish oil, but stopped when I saw no actual change in coat.

I just don't see the need.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This doesn't sound like a lot to me, unless your all-purpose vitamin includes skin and coat omegas. If not, the only thing I'd change is to eliminate your skin and coat supplement and use fish oil or coconut oil instead.

4. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    The only supplements I give is to the seniors for joint health. I think a quality dog food contains all the supplements they should need, we tend to oversupplement (humans too). Of course if your furkid has a specific health issue then I agree with supplementing.

5. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    What would you give for gall bladder? I know I REALLY give to many supplements!

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I know I sound like a broken record, but I swear by Vibrant Pets. Only Bitsy gets extra milkweed thistle for her liver.
    Why buy a ton of stuff when VP has it all?

No, I don't get kickbacks from the company. :wink2:

7. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I agree, Chris! Vibrant Pets helps our Mally, it has the right amount of probiotics, digestive enzymes, vitamins and minerals. It is an "All-in-One" pet supplement!

8. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    puppies food

I feed my four month puppies whith Dog chow of purina, but I have seen they eating the materials of the wall, sand and even coal!:(
    Few days ago they got sick, and my vet recomended me a vitamin supplement named complivit. They`r growing so fast....that I want to be sure that the have all what they need to have a good health in the future. I`m not confident about the meals we buy at the shops....I think that all of them are made from the worst meat but its only marketing the diference between them....in my oppinion.
    My breeder also recomended me to feed them with a yogourt once a week, and of course the food that I`m giving to my puppies....

So I prefeer to complement their food with vitaminas than have unhelthy shelties in the future.

9. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Watson gets glycoflex II for his hips as recommended by the vet. We recently started coconut oil as well. Where he was shaved and injured has been really dry and flaky so I asked her what we could do about that. Coconut oil was her recommendation because as she put it it's "more bang for your buck" compared to something like fish oil since it's apparently good for the joints as well... and no stinky fish breath.

I asked her about vibrant pets- she was unfamiliar. I think the next time I'm up there, I will print some info out and bring her and see what she thinks about it as compared to the glycoflex/coconut oil combo.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014