Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Stomach Issues

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by corbinam, Oct 22, 2014.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Not sure if I have enough information, but thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone has any ideas.

Tuesday (over a week ago) Bentley threw up in the middle of the night. It was mostly undigested food. He threw up again on Friday night--twice. He does not often throw up, and in fact the only time he has done so was when he had an obstruction (but it was just bile/liquid at that time).

He has not eaten anything different (not treats or food) and was pooping normally. It is very unlikely that he got into anything or ingested anything odd.

After Friday night I didn't feed him, then gave him some pumpkin and small amounts of food. He went back to pooping normally (after a day of nothing since he had thrown up and not eaten anything) and we went back to feeding him normally and everything seemed fine.

Last night he threw up undigested food again.

We will be taking him to the vet on Friday, but I don't really even know what to tell them.

The only other clue I have is that he has been eating a bit slower (he still eats in less than a minute or two so it isn't like it's SLOW, just slower than normal). Pooping is still normal.

Any thoughts?

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    You haven't for any reason increased his food lately? The only time my guys tend to bring up undigested food is when they have eaten too much and can't process it all, the remaining food gets brought up. Cadbury also does this with bits of bone. That idea ties in with the being a bit slower over his food, maybe he is not so hungry?

I often find I go through periods my guys need more or less food, depending on all sorts of things from the weather to how much exercise or training they have had (and, of course, if they have had any extras).

Its unlikely to be a blockage because he is pooping still. Its possible it is a very minor stomach upset that has just made his tummy a little sensitive to food.

Definitely a vet visit is worth it to check things over. Hopefully it is something simple to sort:hugs

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Could he have been digging in dirt? I've mentioned before this is a problem for Deska - he eats moist soil and gets a tummy upset. Spring and Autumn are the worst times for microbes in the soil. A course of metronidazole quickly settles it down.

4. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Sorry - no suggestions - just hoping Bentley is feeling better.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If cleared by vet, maybe adding probiotics with digestive enzymes might help break down the food more quickly. Animal Essentials I believe has one and is a good product, but the vet is first on that.

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Is he drinking more water than normal? Our cat eats fast, than drinks a ton of water and throws up her food undigested... and with fall and the cool weather I know Honey is running around like crazy, which leads to her drinking more than normal. If your guy is doing the same, right before or after eating it could be causing it...

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Is Bentley on any medications? Bambi had started acting like you described, I gave her her meds with dinner and her body began rejecting them and caused her to lose her dinner. Hope you have a solution soon for Bentley, good thoughts being sent your way. :fl

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts--though none of them seem to fit the bill here. He isn't eating or drinking more, nor is he on any medications. He also doesn't go out by himself so I know he hasn't been digging or eating plants, etc.

He got up last night again at 2 am and threw up his food. Moved his appointment with the vet to tomorrow. :(

9. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Is there a pattern to when he is sick?

Cadbury will bring up bile in the middle of the night if he gets too hungry. Its always the same time so I know it is that he needs his food upping rather than something more serious.

If there is a pattern, then I would think it is something to do with his feeding routine rather than a medical complaint.

Just another thought, has the food you feed changed anything in its recipe recently that could be triggering this? Sometimes they are quite sneaky about tweaking amounts of ingredients and some dogs really notice it.

Hope he gets on alright at the vets.

10. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    :no: I hope the vet can figure out what is causing it quickly for you and that it's nothing serious!