Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Raw For Puppy? & Weaning Puppies To Raw

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by HopeShelties, Apr 12, 2012.

1. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, I have 2 questions:
    1 What would you start a puppy (4mos old) on? After several of my dogs coming up sick, I am switching them off of kibble to raw. I just can't continue taking chances with their health by not knowing what I am truly giving them. I picked up various chicken parts to start the older dogs on, based on size/weight/condition, but am not sure what a puppy who is still small and doesn't have their adult teeth yet can manage. Wings? Legs? Ground? What is the best way to go starting out? I couldn't seem to find information anywhere on what to feed a small breed puppy on the internet.
    I should mention, he needs to put on weight. He is not wormy and doesn't have coccidia or giardia now, though he did come with coccidia (been treated now). He has been finicky about eating kibble. After the last straw with the kibble yesterday, I offered him some boneless skinless chicken breast, but continuing down that road is pretty pricey. Other bone in chicken parts, or ground turkey, is much more cost efficient. Just need to get some idea of what to get him.
    Usually, I would slowly transition a dog, but the food is truly poisoning them, and they have already been vomiting and having bouts of diarrhea, so loose stools won't be anything new, and with what has happened, I refuse to feed them any more of that kibble.
    2 What do you feed puppies you are weaning from mom to raw? So long as no damage was done, I am planning on a litter being born here mid May, so need to get some idea of what to transition the babies onto once they are ready to start being weaned off of moms milk.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm so happy to hear you've decided to switch your dogs. You really won't regret it... you'll notice better coats/clean teeth/less poop and overall more energy.

I've been feeding mine raw for about a year and a half and have had several fosters come in and fed them raw from day on. There's no need for a transition period!

Three weeks ago I took in two, five week old puppies and put them directly on raw. A lot of people suggest starting out with one protein, usually chicken due to costs/easy access/easily digested for most, but I've never done that with any of mine and never had issues. With that being said, if you chose to do the one protein source you'll want to start with chicken and at four months they should have NO problem eating bone. My five week old pups have a little trouble so I took a hammer and crushed it for them but once they got to eight weeks they didn't need that anymore. Cornish hens are fabulous for the smaller dogs. I never had to crush those bones even at five weeks. Wings/legs/backs, any part. It's usually more affordable to buy whole chickens and feed the various parts and that way they get a good bone/meat ratio and it saves you money. One thing you have to be extra cautious is making sure chicken isn't enhanced (almost all turkey is so I wouldn't even try turkey unless it's a neck later one) You don't want any more than 100MG of sodium per four servings. Also, I buy organic b/c they feed the other chickens a mixture with soy and soy causes lots of allergies in canines. So you have to be cautious about those things.

You don't want to feed him more just to get weight on him as that will probably make him sick and in the end cause more problems. I fed my babies based on their adult weight, 2.5 % of that. For I projected them to be 40lbs and gave them around a pound a day. I have a senior who came to me and he was so skinny his ribs showed but I still feed him 2.5% and the weight came after about a month he was a good weight again. So do take it slow and be assured he will get to the perfect weight in no time if you do so. too much too soon will lead to diarrhea and other things which in the end will cause him to lose more weight!

I've never weaned them (wish I had more than anything, though!) but I know a breeder who does. You would start out with ground and you can add egg shells to the ground for bone content. If you'd like, I can put you in contact with the person I know who breeds shelties/collies and weans onto raw. She's an awesome and experienced person to know!

PM if you need to. I can't wait to hear about the progress and you will feel so good knowing exactly what your dog is eating and feel so good when you see them thriving. :)

Oh, I just realized, I started mine on raw at four months! No problems feeding bone. Their first meal was a chicken leg and they had no problems eating it. So, go ahead and toss him a leg!

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Not to detract from your question, but I'm curious as to your decision to move from kibble to raw.

You mentioned dogs coming up sick, but I'm not sure how your concluded that this was because of kibble feeding.

I'm not asking to challenge you, but rather to educate myself.

Thanks much!

4. HopeShelties

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I started a new bag. Recently and all 8 dogs have shown some signs of being sick... vomiting, diarrhea, listlesness, uncoordinated, seizures in normally healthy dogs. My fence isn't secure currently so they aren't out unsupervised and there is nothing they've gotten into in the house. They don't have any form of illness. They've been checked for worms, coccidia, and giardia. The only thing in common is that bag of food. I do not wish to continue feeding something that has caused such problems in my dogs. I maybe wouldn't be so suspicious but with this many dogs and all showing some signs, I see nothing else it could've been.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

That's just plain weird. Kibble should not have than effect across a number of dogs. There is clearly something wrong with that bag.

And so yes, I can understand that this might cause you discount kibble forever.

What food was it? And do you see an expiry date on it anywhere?

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Diva's first litter was raw fed. We started offering ground chicken or turkey at 3.5-4 weeks old. Around 5 weeks, we started offering minced beef hearts

At 6 weeks, course ground whole chicken. We had the butcher do it.

At 7 weeks they were whole chicken(bone in breast and legs thighs) but they mostly just gnawed off the meat. We had added more variety for muscle meats, tripe and started adding in the liver and organ meat.

At 8 weeks they were starting to eat the bone in chicken and their diet was mostly that of Diva's. We used chicken, turkey, vension, elk, pheasant, beef, pork, rabbit. pork and beef kidneys, beef, chicken or pork liver, tripe, whole eggs. Most of the bone was from the birds.

Diva nursed them until 9 weeks. I had to force wean them as Diva wouldn't I swear she would have nursed them forever.:rolleyes2:We always kept the 80,10,10 ratio in mind. The puppies were big, fat and sassy.

With a 4 months old, I would start in just like I would do with an adult.
    I found this guide a good help
    http://www.snovali.com/other/rawfoodprimer.pdf

I liked feeding raw but time and money both became in short supply. I fed Fromm now and must say I like it. Diva's 2nd litter was kibble fed and very similar. I really haven't seen a big difference in raw vs kibble except in terms of stool amount. But like you said , you know what you are feeding with raw.

here are the baies with their first bone in chicken-ears are not done so I'd say just short of 6 weeks here.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  7. HopeShelties

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all of the great information! I'll save it and store it in with my puppy pack (has weight sheets, birth information, etc, etc) for when they arrive.
    I'm hoping to be able to obtain a decent amount of variety other than chicken. I just found on the co-op group here that there i someone once a month who offers very good deals for turkey and chicken necks, rabbit, beef, organ meat, tripe, and pork, and I'm going to go in with a friend to make the trip up to Ohio for their $8 per 40lb case of turkey miscuts.

8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Do you have mypetcarnivore.com delivery near you? They pretty good.
    I have started both of my puppies when I got them on chicken necks right away. Nothing happened so we continued. We are very relaxed opportunistic feeders here. I know Leo's breeder was giving puppies lots of different baby foods to give exposure to various meats and proteins.

9. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I like Fromm too and it is local. But not only both my dogs but even darn cat refuse to eat it.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    My dogs are all pigs. I don't think I have seen them refuse to eat anything unless they were really sick. Diva even ate right up to the second she gave birth and between puppies. If she ever refused food I know she is dying. Same goes for Ember and Birch.