Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

6 month old puppy behaviour....

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by BarbV, Oct 2, 2008.

1. GeeRome

GeeRome Forums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008
    Canada
    Hey Barb!

There are various different toys that you can get that work the mind a bit. Here is a website with some options. The website is a distributer of these toys, and I have never dealt with them, so I'm not necessarily suggesting that you purchase through them. Just using it as an example of what is out there.
    http://www.nextag.com/dog-puzzle-toy/search-html

You can also do a Google search for "dog puzzle toys".

My guys really enjoy the Buster Cube. Fill it full of Cheerios and watch the fun! Many of the different toys are available at the chain pet stores like PetSmart, etc.

You can also set up games around the house that don't require special toys. Here is a website that outlines some of the more common ones.
    http://www.purina.co.nz/Home/All+Ab...t+Of+Life+Dog/Games+to+Play+With+Your+Dog.htm
    Yes, I know it is Purina. I generally don't like Purina products, but it was one of the better sites I could find that listed the games.

I also really like the "101 Things to Do with a Box" game.
    http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167
    If you don't have a box, you can substitute in a chair or stool. This one is an all time favorite of my guys!

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Thanks so much!

This is terrific!

3. Shelletlover

Shelletlover Forums Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008
    Grimes, Iowa
    The other day I put some treats in a plastic container, a malt cup, if anyone knows what size that is, a little bigger and longer than a yogurt cup. I showed CeCe the treats and showed her how to get the lid off, threw it on the floor and watched her go. It took her a little while, the cup went round and round but she did finally get the lid off, it was hilarious. Then she had to figure out how to get the treats out. Her nose didn't quite reach. But she figured out tipping the cup pretty quick. Pretty smart, if I do say so myself.:wink2:

4. jodie

jodie Forums Regular

Jun 14, 2008
    England
    Jake is fast approching 6 months, at the moment he does nip Dante's back legs, but I have been told it is up to Dante to tell him off for that not me.

Oooo looks like Ive got all this to look forward to... unless he takes it out on Dante instead :lol:

He had ringcraft for an hour once a week, puppy training for 45 mins once a week and Im going to make a start on the clicker training too.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

So we started puppy school today! We were a week behind the rest of the class (as it actually started last week), and boy, did it ever show.

Poor Bacca was so distracted by what was going on around him, I could not get him to concentrate on me at all. And I couldn't find a "quiet" area to put him that wasn't too close to other dogs.

So I had owners standing next to me screaming "Sit!" while I'm trying to get his attention. And to make matters worse, some people brought "extras" that kept walking right in front of us to get to their pup, just as I was about to start a command. Which threw him off some more.

And to make it even more distracting, the assistant trainer had brought her own pup which she had put in a crate, directly behind Bacca and I - so if he wasn't distracted by the pups on each side of him, he also had the one behind.

I could tell he was stressing a little about this, because while he was not cowering and he was often actually trying to reach the other dogs, his tail was tucked very closely to his haunches.

I could barely get him to do the basic commands I'd already taught him! A basic Sit was almost beyond him. I felt like an idiot when I couldn't get him to Sit...."Really, he does a very nice Sit at home!"

At the end of the session, it was off-leash time. The big dogs went first while the rest of us took our pups outside for a break. Then it was our turn. The trainer picked Bacca and 1 a terrier to be off-leash first....but along with a great big Collie who had stayed behind from the big dog play for some reason....well - that sent Bacca running for corners! Why the trainer would do that, I have no idea...but if it happens again, I'll have to speak to her.

As it is, I'm not sure if this session has helped or actually pushed us backwards. On our way there, he was lying nicely in the back of the car as he's used to car trips. On the way back, he was pacing around and actually whined a couple of times.

So is Bacca's behaviour normal for 1st time puppy school? Are we still ok? Is this normal for puppy school? How long before he gets used to the chaos!?:(

6. Jan244

Jan244 Forums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How many dogs are in the training class? In our training classes, the maximum number of dogs is eight and the room in which training is held is quite large so no dog is on top of the next dog. And if there is a need for a dog to be in a less noisy area, we use the large hallway and the Assistant Trainer will go out in the hall to help. Poor Bacca must have been so confused with all the noise and activity going on around him. It’s up to the Trainer to keep the class moving along, but by the same token, it’s also up to the Trainer to assure that each dog (and owner) is given enough attention, help and support so the session isn’t a waste of time. Perhaps you can get to the next class a bit early and talk with him/her about being able to work with Bacca in an area of the room where there are not as many distractions. You are paying for these classes; you should get your money’s worth and you shouldn't leave the class feeling as though your pup has been through the wringer.:sadsmile:

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Jan

I had the same feeling leaving the class. It was a reasonalbly large room and probably 10 pups, which included two lab pups and a 4 year old collie. The space between each pup though was less than 6 feet, at least from where I was situated. I think others were better spaced.

I will take your advice and talk to the trainer before next week's lesson. I don't mind the money so much as worrying about whether I'm helping or hurting my training with Bacca.

Thx
    Barb

8. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm sorry that your first class wasn't better. Jan is absolutely right, definitely go early and have a word with the trainer before your next session.

Bacca's behavior isn't abnormal, he was obviously feeling very over whelmed by all of the noise and confusion.

Where did you go for your puppy class?

I took Sadie to petsmart for puppy class, we were in a small class with only 4 other dogs and she found that to be overwhelming at times, mind you she was younger than Bacca when I took her. Just being in a building the size of Petsmart with all of the different sights, sounds and smells can be too much for a pup. If you're going to the same type of place, I found it really helpful to bring Sadie there early and on days when we didn't have class just to get her used to being there. I'd walk up and down the isles and practice sits and downs and she quickly began to love our trips to petsmart. Even if you aren't going to training at a place like petsmart, you may still want to try going there to practice, that way he gets used to a place with lots of new sights, sounds and smells and won't feel so overwhelmed the next time he's in a similar place.

Good Luck! :smile2:

9. Kelso

Kelso Forums Regular

Oct 8, 2008
    mom is sort of confused. My testicles haven't started descending yet, but this morning I lifted my leg to pee. I am starting to exhibit the 6 month old behavior....sometimes I nip...hard! Mom doesn't like that at all and she says 'OW' really loud! And I like to lay on her lap and chew her jeans and shirt...or the blanket.

I have been good, though, and not chasing cars anymore.

I will probably have to go to the vet so he can see my teeth and tell mom how old I am.

10. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    Puppy class

I wouldn't be concerned at all about starting a week later; but I would speak with the trainer to see if you can get a little more space. Snap did a class at 5 mos and his attention span lasted for about 10 minutes, even with high value treats at hand. After that, he was a complete pain. I found that it helped a little to turn his back to the other puppies (say facing outwards, if you are in a circle). The puppy class experience was as much for socialization for him as anything else. The atmosphere indeed is distracting / highly stimulating, if not chaotic and overwhelming. Hopefully this next week you and the trainer can keep things upbeat and fun for Bacca. I bet that you will see a difference in him this next week as he gets more comfortable with the experience. Let us know how it goes !

Katherine