Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Travel Crate Question -- yet again!

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by Mom2Melli, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I have used soft crates in the car for my dogs for years. I pretty much strap them in and leave them in full time since I take a dog with me SO often someplace.

Cubby kills a soft crate, at least for now. He's happy as a clam in wire.

I just picked up a 2nd wire crate for upstairs (bedroom). It's the 30 x 21 x 25 2-door model. I have the 42 x 28 x whatever tall in the living room for the daytime penning. Eventually, I will get rid of the downstairs one and only have the upstairs -- even for crating when gone. I was thinking some day the larger one would end up in the bedroom but it just depends on how big he actually gets. Melli fits nicely in the small one and she is a pretty good sized girl at 16+/- and wide.

The smaller one is definitely sturdier. Is it acceptable to use a wire crate in the car, strapped down of course and maybe reinforced with a little electrical tape at the top joints? I do like the ventilation of the wire, but I don't want the dog in a mangled mess if in accident (though honestly soft crate would end up a smashed collapsed mess!). I know the plastic shipping ones are the best.

Should I use the wire for the car or should I buy a bigger soft crate when he outgrows the smaller one I am using now? Plastic is kind of out as there is not quite enough ventilation and visibility.

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I would tend to think that a wire crate strapped down would be more secure for your dog than a soft sided crate, but I am far from an expert. I do see many people at shows with the wired crates strapped in their cars, versus the soft crates, though.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am thinking that could be a possibility. He is so much happier in the wire than the soft with the mesh. I will have to give it a try when we do a long trip and see how comfortable it comes out for him. It's one of the good brands with the thicker wires and seems quite sturdy.

4. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    We are going to the camper this weekend - will be Baker's first time. I switched to soft crates for "the boys" when we went to the Grand Canyon. Not sure how Baker will like it since he won't see big bro Toby laying in the crate next to him.

We use seat belt adapters in the back seat of our crew cab truck for traveling - no crates.

5. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I've never used a wire crate at all.... a vet tech friend of mine uses wire in the car though for a french bulldog and a labradoodle pup. I need to figure out a good way to strap our crate down... He's tipped over in it going around a turn because he insists on sitting side saddle against a the wall.:eek:

6. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I view it as the same as you. I tend to think wired is better than soft crate. I actually only use soft crates for agility shows and I just started doing that. Ruutu slept in the soft one like it was his wired crate and no issues. Honey complained... but she complains regardless what crate you put her in.

So my vote is, as long as you strap em in good, wire is fine! My vet in PA also uses only wired crates to travel her dogs (13 of them). I unfortunately can't crate either of mine in my car due to the size of my car.

7. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    When mine go places with me I use the wire crates strapped down. They like to look out the back window and watch cars and people.
    The one in my car is a little smaller than the ones they sleep in though. I feel like it makes them a little more secure. And it has a bumper padding around the bottom for comfort!

8. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    What do you use to strap your crates?

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'll jump in--we strap our crates in with ratchet ties.

10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    That is what we do as well.