Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What breeds do Shelties get along with?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Becky1, May 23, 2009.

1. Ania

Ania Forums Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008
    Canada
    My two get along with most dogs, especially bigger ones. The only ones that they are a bit weary of are Yorkies! (but that's because they met one that was very territorial and a bit aggressive towards them, so now they shy away from them) Their favourite bigger dogs are border collies though.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    What about a Finnish lapphund? Friendly, loveable and gentle herding breed. They have similar personalities to Shelties so they get along great. I know there are not a lot in Australia although they becoming more popular and we have quite a few where I live. Not sure what the situation is where you live.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Cracking up here!!! :lol:

4. Becky1

Becky1 Forums Regular

May 23, 2009
    New Zealand
    Thanks Caro, I had never heard of this breed before, they look amazing! I will definitely look into this one :smile2:

I live in Auckland where there are a handful of Sheltie breeders but I NEVER see other Shelties out on walks. Most people don't even know what kind of dog Howard is, they think he's a baby border collie...! I understand Shelties are way more popular in the US?

Anyway I'll look out for info on Finnish Lapphunds... lovely!

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Don't let your BF discount the Standard Poodle. This is a much mis-aligned breed. This is no fi-fi dog. See pic below.

If I wanted a larger dog, I think this would be my most likely no. 1 pick. I've never met a Standard that I did not like. Easily trained and low maintenance. And in motion, they are a beauty to watch.

p.s. I wish the kennel clubs would abandon the lion cut for poodles. It totally undermines the dog as a breed. I would SO love a rebel shower to introduce an un-clipped poodle into the show ring!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...es?q=standard+poodle&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N

6. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    Barb - I think a lot of the mis-conceptions about poodles come from the toy breed. I personally would never own a poodle. My sister in-law had one and I hated it and I'm a dog person! It was yappy all the time, it was dumb as a box of rocks and in general a total pain in the butt. I have never known anyone that has owned a standard poodle. Maybe I would like the standards but I can't stand toy poodles or the medium sized ones, that's what my sister in-law had and I don't know the correct name for them - sorry!

7. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada

8. Jaspers_Mommy

Jaspers_Mommy Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2009
    Oceanside CA
    oh it gets better.. lol he was just eh about all the pitbulls till he saw this one little grey one.. and BAM he fell in love... got so excited if you kno what i mean...

he wanted to make pitland sheepdogs with her lol

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    My husband had a Standard Poodle that was a lush. Pierre used to push the liquor bottles in the basement bar off the shelf onto the floor and lap up the contents. You've got to love that! :lol:

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    ROTFLMAO! :lol: