Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My angel is gone...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by janice7920, Aug 7, 2011.

1. janice7920

janice7920 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    My precious girl, Holly, left us tonight. Some of you might have seen my posts in the Disease & Illness threads that Holly had been diagnosed with kidney disease the last week of March. A wonderful holistic vet gave us 4 more months with her, although I admit that I was fooled into thinking we'd have for her another year - or more - after she made a tremendous recovery during April & May, when she was back to her old self again. About two weeks ago, I noticed she was throwing up occasionally and restless some nights. Last week there was occasional diarrhea about every third day, and her kidney numbers had gone up a bit, but not to where the vet thought she would be getting ill yet. Then the last few days she had not been urinating much and it was becoming harder to feed her. We had her at the vet on Thursday for a day of fluids to jump start her kidneys again but after we brought her home that night, things seemed to go into decline.

Today, I had a hard time feeding her and had to syringe some water into her mouth to keep her from getting dried out. We also did our usual subQ fluids but she was still not urinating more than once or twice in a day. This evening, I tried feeding her but the food just sat in her mouth - she either couldn't or wouldn't swallow it and it would run out like drool. She was also taking some heart pills, Vetmedin for the last several days because it seemed as if she were having problems breathing and the vet suggested she was having some congestive heart failure issues. My husband and I were talking about how much more time it was fair to give her and then the decision was taken from us.

Tonight, we tried to stand her up and she wobbled, walked out of the room and fell down. We tried to take her outside around 9 pm to see if she would pee, and my husband picked her up from the living room floor, carried her (awake and seemingly alert) to the yard and set her down. She wobbled for a second and fell down and died. She was gone almost instantly after he set her feet on the ground. I never saw this happen and I never saw it coming the way it did. I will always wonder what it was -- I don't know if she could have had a stroke earlier or if her heart just gave out.

We drove her over to an emergency vet who made sure she was gone and I cried my eyes out when they let us sit with her for awhile. We are having her cremated so I will have her ashes to keep her alive in my heart forever.

I have a feeling I will be distraught as soon as the shock wears off but I wanted to thank all of you who gave me comfort, support and advice in the few months that I've privileged to be a member of your community. I just can't believe my girl is gone. She gave us so much love and joy and I am going to be terribly lonely without her.

I think the next few days are going to be very difficult because I don't work and I spend my days helping to care for my elderly mom and Holly was always at my side. Going back to the daily routine without her sweet face and companionship just makes me want to curl up and cry.

Janice

2. Lysette85

Lysette85 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    I am so sorry to hear this-such a sad story. At least you know now that she will never be in pain again, and you were with her for her final moments. I hope you guys can find some solace in knowing that.

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I am so sorry to hear about Holly passing.
    we never have our special shelties long enough.
    You did everything you could for her, her body just gave out :(

take some time to remember all the precious memories....you will always have them..no matter what :sadsmile:

4. Sackett

Sackett Forums Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    my thoughts and prayers are with you this evening....
    :(

5. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I am so sorry.My gosh. Just wished we could all give you a hug right now.

6. wjo53

wjo53 Forums Enthusiast

So sorry to read of your pups passing. Thoughts will be with you.

7. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I am so sorry for your loss. Take the time you need to grieve. Hugs.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know this is a very difficult for you, but Holly is now at peace and running pain free at the rainbow bridge.

9. Fergusmom

Fergusmom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009
    UP of Michigan
    I'm so sorry for your loss. You did your very best for her and I know you will miss her. Remembering the happy fun times will help you get through this most difficult one. My deepest sympathies go out to you.

10. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Janice, I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your husband worked so hard to give her a good few months, and I know she could feel the love and care from the two of you.

Thank you for giving Holly a wonderful life.