Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pebbles progress

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by eneda, Apr 4, 2012.

1. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Pebbles is on her third day of BARF today and things are going great. It has been only chicken, thighs, legs and breast with some peas and nori sheets so far and she loveeeeees it. I realized I had to put a bib on her because her mane gets all dirty, so when I put the bib on this afternoon she started getting all excited and wagging her tail.
    Her poop has been quite normal, no canon but or anything like that so Im thinking I can start switching to other meats and maybe some organ meat? Im also doing research on BARF for cats because the kitties should be on it too! :D

2. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    No, don't add in any organs for at least a month. I'd keep her on chicken for at least two full weeks, then add in something new slowly by slowly cutting back on the chicken and adding in new item. But, it might not bother her having a new protein, I do know organs will set her off, though and strongly advise against that after three days!

3. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Oh ok! Thanks!!

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Glad she is taking to the switch with no problems! I would definitly keep her on the chicken for a couple of weeks. When you add the orgens just add small amounts and work up to the proper amount.

As for cats they can be a little more difficult to switch. From what I understand you cant just wait them out, if they dont eat the raw food you will have to give them cat food. They can be stubborn :rolleyes2: I know someone that raises hampsters and gerbils for their cat, they just give them the whole thing.

5. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    LOL. I used to have hamsters and was always nervous when I left for work because my cats and pebbles would always team up to open the cage. Fortunately they died of old age at 2 and 1/3 and 3 years.