Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

L-theanine for Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Health' started by OntarioSheltie, May 24, 2011.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I bought some capsules from a vitamin store. It's 100mg, so I opened up the capsule and poured 1/4 of it into Bailey's food. I gave it to her about an half an hour ago, so we'll see what happens...

How would I know if it helped her relax? I guess I should take her for a walk and see if she reacts to dogs and people?

2. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    The ones I have are over 100mg, so I open it up and pour a little out. I've found a place where I can get 100mg online so I'll start giving it to him twice a day then.

With Toby, I noticed him relaxing more and is less tense. He's usually at attention all the time and paces around. Overall he just seems happier.

He'd usually react at every sound he heard in the house, even if it was just someone in another room or upstairs. This stopped with L-theanine.

On walks he handled stress much better too. Far less lunging and barking.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Do you have a vitamin shoppe near you? I paid $13 for 60 100mg capsules. Not a bad deal.

I'm staying at my parents this weekend, so it will be harder to tell if it works. Her barking and lunging on walks will be easier to test at my apartment, but I wanted to try it now since I will be home all day today. This was I can monitor any possible side effects or reactions.

She does seem pretty relaxed despite having hardly any exercise today. She's actually napping right now.

4. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nope, we're in Canada.

I found a great Canadian web site which sells 90 100mg capsules for around $30 and shipping is free. Can't go wrong there.

I hope it helps her!

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    tried it on both of my dogs, did not notice anything. I was hoping to see more when I took Leo for his Reactive on leash class as there is one really sick/ literally, needs to be put down but owner can't yet/ 2 year old white Shepard who gives Leo a "vibe" , no significant changes were noted. Leo has improved his reaction but is also was a third class.
    Both of my boys are not anxious boys thought, even Leo.... he makes poor choices at times but they not based in anxiety...
    I reread info on L theanine and it said it affect anxiety state and no others...
    I will try again, Leo got 33 mg dose because he is tiny at 13lbs. Am not sure if I should up the dose...

6. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I didn't realize that Leo is so tiny! I imagined him to be the size of Toby, who is a bit oversized. The little ones always seem to have the most to prove and the biggest personalities. He's around the size of my Ginny.

I read somewhere that it can help with aggression, but it maybe its more for fear aggressive dogs. Still, I'd give it a few days at least.

Toby has had a more difficult couple of days. He got REALLY stressed out on Thursday so recovery from that takes 2-3 days. He's still a little hyper sensitive today but is better than yesterday.

7. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I just bought some tonight. I'll post when I use it, maybe tomorrow, after the sponge passes (see my other Koji ate a sponge thread). I noticed he's on high alert at our new apt and is barking at everything.

I may give my mom some too, she gets anxiety on planes, maybe it'll help.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    It doesn't really seem to make a difference for Bailey and I think it might be giving her a little loose stool. I only gave it to her for two days and in those two days, she's had large amounts of stool and some were a little soft. So, I'm probably going to stop this medicine.

9. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    OK, I got some l-theanine. I have two questions. I got people pills at a health food store and it says, "l-Theanine, Vegetarian capsules." This is the only kind I could find and I wonder if there is anything in the ingredient list that would cause any problems. The label reads:

"L-Theanine 100mg. Other ingredients: Cellulose, water (vegetarian capsules), cellulose (yes, it is listed twice) magesium stearate and silica.

Second--Ellie weighs 30 pounds. What dosage should she get? I got 100 mg caps.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  10. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Yeah, Leo compensates with big personality and charm:biggrin2:, his recent conversation with our behavioral obedience trainer was something like that
    -"Stop this"/ Leo giving eye to a Shepard/
    -"No"/ Leo is preparing to lunge/
    trainer steps in front on Leo herding him into being mindful
    Leo sits up, looks at trainer and starts frustrated bark...
    - "No bark" ... when Leo keeps going trainer circles Leo's muzzle
    - "ok, can I kiss you then?" Leo attempts to kiss trainer's hand and trainer's heart melts into puddle...:lol:
    I will continue to use L theanine, want to give some now as we have huge thunderstorms passing thru which Leo is not fond of. Have not noticed any side effects yet.