Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello everyone!!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Bri1014, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Bri1014

Bri1014 Forums Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    Colorado
    Hello
    We just rescued a puppy from the human society. They said she was a Border Collie mix, but she is so small and looks more like a Sheltie. I've joined to get more information on Shelties, raw feeding smaller dogs, and learning everything else I need to know.

So my lovely Holly is 9wks, tri colored, and a doll face! The last couple dogs I've had were a Heeler/Aussie Shepherd mix and an Aussie Shepherd, so I'm not new to herding dogs, just Shelties. I can't wait to learn all I can to bond and train with my little Holly.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Welcome to you and your little lass, Holly. You already have good experience with herding breed dogs...I think the one big difference you may find with a Sheltie is how "soft" their personality is. They bond best and learn best under upbeat, gentle training and they are ultra attuned to their person's every emotion.

Trini

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome to Sheltie Nation and to your new tri rescue! Bless your heart for adopting!

Trini, could not have explained it any better!!! :yes:

We love pictures!

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Welcome! I sure would love to see Holly!

6. Bri1014

Bri1014 Forums Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    Colorado
    Thank you everyone! I will post pictures as soon as I can, I already have a ton! I can already see her 'soft' attitude. My Texas Heeler would only listen to no if it was said in a stern voice, Holly listens around the first calm no.

I do have a question about feeding. I've never had a dog or pup that acted so starved at each meal. She barely chewed the kibble her first night with us and this morning was her first raw meal and she didn't chew anything. Any advice for this behavior?

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome to you and your little Holly, it is loads of fun here with just about all the information you will ever need for your wee one. As others have stated, can't wait to meet your baby. :smile2:

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    rescues can take a couple days to adjust enough to eat. I actually emailed the rescue that I got mine from to ask what she'd been eating but she started eating the kibble my other dog was eating before I had the chance to go pick up any of the old food.

9. Bri1014

Bri1014 Forums Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    Colorado
    Oh okay. She doesn't have a problem eating, she loves food of all kinds, whatever she can find. I'm just nervous she inhales it so quickly without chewing.

10. MaraAraLara

MaraAraLara Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2015
    Ireland
    Welcome!!! No advice, just wanted to say hi and looking forward to seeing some pictures! :)