Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Little Sheltie?

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by Justicemom, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ok the 2rd person tonight and the 3rd person this weekend has commented that Celtic is a cute little sheltie.

Since when has 15" become little. 2 of these comments have come from "dog" people who have been around shelties. I pointed out that he was 15" and the response was he doesn't look that big. He is moderate boned not a big tank of a dog. Does it make that much difference?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    That is funny. I only get comments about Tully's size (tad under 13") particularly around Deska (16"). But when we're at confirmation shows both mine look big as the shelties being shown now are smaller and fine boned - seems to be the trend here now. I think Tully looks bigger because of the fuller coat.

I have noticed on the Sheltie height/weight spreadsheet that the average is just over 16", so maybe that's becoming the norm in America?

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the thing with the spreadsheet is that most of us have pet shelties that were more than likely identified early as likely to go over size.

When I got Callie- she was in the 15" size range- I got both comments on how small and how big she was and she was in size which I had to explain to people.

Now- two oversize and two in-size- it's fun with that:winkgrin:

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I get told all the time that my guys are small--but that's from the non-sheltie experts. My brown dogs are both just slightly under 16", but they are fine boned so they are bigger than people think. Everyone thinks Enzo is tiny and are surprised when I tell them he's 14.5".

I think bone plays a huge part in how big shelties seem.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I get the same thing with Ruffles. She is also 15 inches, but very petite and fine-boned, with a head in proportion to her body. Apparently it does make a difference, especially in the show ring. She's had some success and is pointed, but has more losses than wins. Stacked against other Shelties, she looks smaller and people always ask if she's a puppy. Fortunately, she has a personality to match and we love her to bits.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I probably would remark the same thing. Maybe this year I will go to one of the shows and meet and greet the local sheltie peeps I talk to online. My comment likely will be . . . wow they are so small . . . qualified with my two pet quality are just SO oversize at 16.5" and 18.5". It may be a little surprising to me to see ones who are in-size even though I mentally know that is what they should be. I did the same thing with Aussies. At the shows I commented how nicely sized they were because all three of mine were ginormous. I appear to attract very large dogs and cats.

Now if dog people are saying it . . . that's disturbing.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I always get comments that Edan is small even though he's pretty much in the middle of the Standard at 14.5". He's finer boned for a boy, and doesn't have a really full coat, which gives him the illusion of being small.

I don't comments about CJ being small, however. She is actually smaller than Edan by 1/4" and built similarly however, with her fuller coat and being female I guess it just works for her.

Keiran is just simply a bundle of cute in a small package. There's not getting around that.

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I've had someone ask if there was something wrong with Missy because they thought she was abnormally small. She's 16.5"! It might be that the dog people who area saying it have mostly been around bigger shelties.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    For non-sheltie people I think that they just don't realize how small shelties are. I post a lot of pictures of the puppies on Facebook and Instagram and every single time that someone meets them for the first time they always are like "oh my gosh they are so small!" They've seen the pictures but they still imagine that they are bigger than they are.

10. Team Mav

Team Mav Forums Regular

Sep 1, 2014
    Coon Rapids, MN
    Well if they think Celtic is small, I would like to see their reaction to his sister. :lol: Especially since Envy is 3 inches smaller than him.