Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

6 month old puppy behaviour....

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by BarbV, Oct 2, 2008.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Ok, lots of things going great...!

But all of a sudden, Bacca has turned into the biggest pain in the *&*(&^

In the mornings, after he's fed, pee'd and poo'd, he turns into an absolute devil. As I'm dressing to go to work, he's tearing at my pant legs. As I gather my work stuff up, its the same thing...dog biting at ankles, chasing me around the house.

When I come home from work he goes into major suck mode and wants to be held and cuddled non-stop. If I refuse to pick him up, he'll start to nip at my ankles or jump up on my chair.

I'm pretty sure what's going on - he just wants love and attention - but I can't always give it to him on his command.

Suggestions for controlling the beast?

2. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    That's just what Luke (my 6 month old is doing!) Right down to the biting and then wanthing to be cuddled! :lol:

I reprimand him when he bites me, but when I have time, I play sock-sock with him (tug o war), fetch, and "lets run around the house really fast" (my version of tag). When I'm tired of playing with him, he plays wrestle with mum, grandmum and great-grandmum (grandmum and g-grandmum belong to my mother). If that's still not enough, he'll sit on the foot stool (right in front of me), and purr at me. Really quiet at first...then louder. If I look at him, he launches himself at me for cuddles.

I really haven't found a way to really discourage the rest (I don't mind the cuddling, myself.)

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

4. GeeRome

GeeRome Forums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008
    Canada
    6 months is a great age to put your working dog to work! Instill a routine and schedule now, sign up for a couple of puppy classes and obedience classes. Once he figures out the routine and knows that he will get to go working a couple times a week, then he will be more willing to chill the rest of the time. Not saying that a 6 month old puppy will every be calm, but it will certainly get all that pent up drive out of him and allow him to channel his energy in an appropriate manner. When you aren't at classes with him, do mind games at home. Tracking games, scent discrimination, hide and seek. His little brain is kicking into adult mode and he has more intelligence and drive than he knows what to do with. If you don't give him an outlet for it, he'll find his own way to deal with it ... and chances are you won't like his solutions as much! :lol:

5. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    And I thought I was alone!!! hahaha! Romeo turned 6 months about a week ago and boy is he like what BarbV described! He'll attack my pants legs (I roll up my PJs now) and nip and try his darnest to get my attention with his TEETH (of all things), then he'll grab a toy or a chewy thingy and come sit right next to me, his body touching my leg and happily chew away while I stroke his fur.

He's a real bundle of energy now. I take him for longer walks. He's already enrolled in obedience class (and has been going for over a month). Every weekend now I'm taking him to parks and dog runs so that he can run off leash (he loves grass) and meet new dogs. I do short training sessions every night and give random commands whenever we are out on walks or around the house. We play fetch and tug too.

I will definitely start with the hide and seek games with him. I'm gonna read up on this scenting thing too. Hopefully that will keep him occupied.

I noticed that Romeo's teeth are falling out more now (I collected 3 in the past few days). Could it be that he's feeling uncomfortable too?

6. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    puppies go through phases, Sadie did too.

I'd suggest crating him when he's doing unwanted behaviors. Don't scold him, just remove him from the situation. Eventually he should stop what he's been doing because he'll realize there is a consequence for bad behavior

7. GeeRome

GeeRome Forums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008
    Canada
    If you are wanting to associate the crate with a happy place, then I wouldn't necessarily put him there when he is being a brat. If the dog is put in the crate every time he is doing something undesireable, then he will begin to associate negative consequences with the crate. Not a good idea, especially when he has to be crated during a vet stay, while boarding, traveling, grooming, etc. You want the crate to be a stress-free place, and using it as a time-out zone isn't going to help with that.

We have to recognize WHY our dogs are doing what they are doing. A 6 month old pup that is nipping and trying to get attention is doing so because they are being overwhelmed with maturing drives, instincts, and energy. So instead of quelling that drive, instinct, and energy, utilize it. Sticking him in a crate, making him do a down-stay, tossing him in the back yard, etc. isn't allowing him to release the energy or channel the drive. Instead of essentially smothering the energy, which will often result in a "defeated" dog, allow it to be expressed naturally. With time, the dog will learn to control that energy, releasing it when it is "work time", and storing it when it is not.

8. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    From my experience this worked well, both with Sadie and my parent's sheltie, who both still love their crates. When this is done as part of a routine I don't believe this is negative, its the same as crating a dog when you leave the house. Further, putting a pup in his/her crate every time they are bad can create a negative experience, but occasionally, for the sake of sanity, it has to be done. Till she was almost 7 months old Sadie had to be put down for naps because she wouldn't sleep unless she was crated and would just run around and get into things. Its the same as putting an overly tired child down for a nap.

This was our morning routine. When Sadie was young and up until about 7-8 months old, after she'd eaten it became routine for her to go into her crate while I got ready for work since she tended to get under foot or into trouble. After 10-15 minutes of being crated and I was ready for work, then we'd go for our morning walk.

From about 7 months to 10 months old on I tried letting Sadie stay out of her crate while I got ready. If Sadie was being a 'brat' I'd put her in her crate until I was ready for work, then I'd take her for her regular walk. I don't believe this creates a negative atmosphere as the pup likes her crate, especially as part of a routine, and I was able to get ready in the morning without tripping over or being nipped by the pup.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Yes! That's exactly it! This morning I was walking down the hall, almost dragging the pup as he'd attached himself to my jeans! Now I'm home from work and he's glued up next to me, afraid to let me out of his sight!

GeeRome, refresh me where I can find those mind games you mentioned. I recall you gave details on another posting, but I can't find it anymore!

OntarioSheltie - I think you're both right! When I'm trying to get ready to go to work in the morning, I don't have time to play, so removing him from underfoot for a short time, should be fine with him!

Thanks everyone!

10. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    I can totally relate to these behaviors, particularly the pouncing and grabbing my pants leg from behind !

I thought that I could exercise Snap through adolescence, however I'm beginning to accept that physical exercise is only part of it. My evening dog- walking partner has been laughing at me: saying that my exercising Snap is only building his endurance !

I'm beginning to see glimpses of what will become a well behaved pup, but I am having to work very hard at establishing my dominance, while allowing him to have fun at the same time. I make him do sits / downs / stays for meals, treats, and in ball retrieving. I've about pulled out my hair with "heeling" and the loose leash concept; however, when we are on walks he now will stop and sit when I stop walking, unless he is super distracted, then all bets are off! Interestingly enough, I am getting out for short jaunts (a few blocks) on the bicycle once or twice a week; and when I tell him that we are coming to a stop, he will slow down and sit beside me. So...some things are getting through !