Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Spaghetti squash

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by PitterPatter, Jan 17, 2010.

1. PitterPatter

PitterPatter Forums Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2009
    Oregon
    Has anyone fed spaghetti squash to their sheltie? Just wonder if it would make her gassy, or possibly just not a good thing in general. Since I have some extra I thought it might make her think she's getting a big treat.

She's getting a little bit fluffy and thought it might be another possibility to stretch her food.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    what is spaghetti squash? I give my dogs spaghetti and squash and zucchini - in fact they love my spaghetti bolognaise which has tomato paste, carrot and zucchini in it.

3. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    It's my understanding that when our furbabies get a little fluffy feeding them a few bited of veggies is a great idea. I think feeding them a little less dog food and adding like carrots, green beans, etc, helps keep them full!?

4. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Spagetti squash is a yummy veggie.It is a long squash,yellow in color.It looks just like strands of spagetti when the squash has been split & cooked. You cook it in the oven.Adding some butter,salt & pepper.

When its cooked,remove from oven,and either take a fork and scrape the cooked pulp out. It resembles strands of spagetti. Very yummy,tender,sweet in flavor.

Eat as is,or add your favorite bolenaise,or sauce.

5. PitterPatter

PitterPatter Forums Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2009
    Oregon
    I love to use it instead of regular spaghetti. Hubby is not so fond of it. But unless he's going to cook, he doesn't get too much say. :lol: It's a little bit different taste, but has to be better for you and a lot less calories. The pup likes the taste, but she is kind of a pig. I just wondered if anyone had tried feeding it to their sheltie to mix in with their main food to stretch the meal. And if it caused any kind of problem. Do you think food in this family would cause gas, etc. in dogs?

6. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Its my understanding that squash is good for dogs, but I can't remember where I heard that or why :biggrin2:

7. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Pumpkin is a variety of squash. :biggrin2:

8. sheltielover

sheltielover Forums Regular

Jan 25, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My sheltie is on a raw meat diet and he gets tons of veggies for a filler! He loves squash- I have shredded zucchini and also cut chunks of yellow squash- all browned a little to give it flavor. I mix it up in with a little pumpkin and his meat and he eats it up. Tonight I cooked spaghetti squash and added it to his supper meats and he gobbled it up. I too, have to watch his weight. He tends to put weight on quickly - so I thought I would get him off dog food. He has done great and I know exactly what he is getting! But I think the spaghetti squash is a great filler for them!

Good luck,
    Sandy and Bailey

9. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    squash is good

My previous sheltie (lived to be 17) was a finicky eater and didn't tolerate a lot of foods well, but she liked mashed up squash of any kind, as long as it was mashed, as well as mashed carrots.Texture was very important to her, ha. I use to serve lots of spaghetti squash and acorn squash, if my sheltie didn't get her "portion" when the family was getting theirs, she'd let you know it was killing her...but I learned early on that chicken and squash in her tummy would have us all gagging, and opening all windows. So nixed the chicken, she didn't tolerate it at all...same with pork...so she ate mostly lamb, otherwise the air was fouled fiercely. And chicken and noodles, horrible results with that as well. She liked eating it, but we all suffered in about 30 mins....:no:

10. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    I can't see why spaghetti squash would be bad- unless you season it before roasting. I sprinkle mine with a seasoning salt that includes garlic and onion so no go for Olive, but I'm sure she'd love it (she runs a little heavy on the veggie preference side of the omnivore description.)