Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Coldest You'll Walk Your Dogs/Let Them Out?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Is it dangerous or just annoying? It's probably going to be a little tricky in frigid cold to clean them without taking off my gloves, and he'll probably not cooperate, if he holds to form.

We really don't go very far in the winter? I walk him a couple different directions, so, even on a longer walk, we're never more than a few minutes away from home.

God, I hate this weather.

2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey and I have been stuck taking our walks around the kitchen table this week. With windchill it's been below freezing for most of it, and as soon as she's in the snow for more than a minute she sits down and lifts her paws up because they're so cold. Than she shivers in my arms all the way back to the house.

This weekend warmed up a little, and I took her outside for three or four minute breaks, which was a relief to her cabin fever, but even with the slightly warmer temperatures she'd end up shivering by the end. Didn't even bother trying for a walk.

Her first winter I don't think it got much below 10 degree's so we didn't have any problem then, last winter she was on restricted movement from mid January to April, so I didn't notice any sensitivity like this.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it is cold today for South Alabama- 29-30 all day with freezing rain and sleet. the kids ran around for maybe 15 min the last time that they were out.......
    the sleet showed up best on Jocu
    supposed to have snow later tonight and still cold tomorrow.
    this area is basically shut down until it warms up on Thu- we have no snowplows or salt trucks. the road crews have put sand on the main roads/bridges but we have stayed in all day.......

4. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Just heard this morning on our local news station that the cold weather actually helps arthritis. (it lessens the inflammation). They have a doctor that comes on in the mornings with medical advice. She wasn't speaking of the below zero, she meant winter in general. This makes sense though. With our Mally's arthritis, he loves the cold weather and snow. He has a rough time in the summer.

Note: With our weather being so extremely cold, we just walk to the corner and back for Mally to go potty and then turn around. (not far at all) If Mally had his way we would go for a longer walk.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014