Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cryptic blue

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by SheltieChe, Jan 22, 2012.

1. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
  2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    there are actually alot more dogs than people think that are cryptic blues...there was one being shown up here about a year or so ago...personally I didnt care for it, the one being shown was a mishmash of colors and was not pleasing to the eye.

The ones that are obvious are usually placed in pet homes. But there are a few that are out there being shown that are less conspicuous!

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I would argue that is not a cryptic Merle. It may carry a greying gene, but I don't think it's a Merle.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
  5. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Its probably me,or possibly the way the photo has been taken,but his face looks
    "corgi-ish" to me. I really dont see any thing appealing about him. (sorry)

6. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I agree with Rachael and wouldn't refer to his coloring as cryptic merle. My understanding of the term is that it refers to a dog that is merle but the expression of the gene is not readily apparent in the dog's coloring. Often they will look just like a tri or bi-black and only have a small patch of merle coloration in a location that isn't obvious, like inside a leg. Clan Duncan Ghost Soldier, pictured at the bottom of the page, here http://www.kennelcity.com/cdpup.html, is a cryptic merle.

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Looks like a Maltese blue to me. It is a similar color to the blue doberman.

Notice how the nose leather is also faded. Classic sign of a dilute.

Roll down to the bottom of the page to see the dilutes. The color is not desired for showing because it is a washed out ,degenerate color. It is a fault by the standard. You could show it but likely not win.
    http://colors.snovali.com/

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I was just about to post here about the dilute coloring. I posted a picture of my boy taken at the party last weekend and his breeder commented "you can really see he's a dilute" in that picture. She asked if I noticed he was getting lighter. In the sunlight he has a gray-ish cast to his coat... and also a red cast to his hind quarters coat...

Anyway, I want to learn about dilutes. He was of the second breeding of a tri to a double dilute. The first litter produced all blue merles. he was 2 of 2 puppies in the 2nd litter and surprised the breeder being by being tri colored. She said she called all over the country to learn that someone back in the pedigree blah blah blah...

So, will my boy continue to get a gray cast to his coat? Only time will tell...
    wonder what's up with the reddish-rusty cast...

here's a link to the picture -

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    link???:confused2:

10. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta