Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

a good deal on chicken..

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Bellesmom, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Bellesmom

Bellesmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2010
    Surrey British Columbia
    today we went to a grocery store that we never shop in, and I wandered over to the meat section. they had a sale on chicken legs and thighs with the back attached, so of course I had to buy a bag for Belle.. now she has a good supply of backs, necks, legs, and thighs.

so Belle has a good supply of raw food. I am just thrilled that her first excursion into the raw yesterday went so well. this morning she had the tiniest of poos..

2. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Isn't it fabulous? It shows how kibble is full of fillers and they don't get very much from it at all. My pups would poop 4 or 5 times a day and now they poop maybe two and they are tiny! It's exciting finding deals... I find myself ALWAYS checking out the meat section now lol

3. Bellesmom

Dec 22, 2010
    Surrey British Columbia
    my mother happened to be shopping in the same store where I bought the chicken, and I was telling her that I was going to buy a bag of these legs/thighs/backs for Belle and explained a bit of it to her.. there was a lady standing next to me and I think that she thought I was crazy buying people food for the dog..

but it is true, dogs don't process a lot of what is the dry foods.

4. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    oh yeah the cashiers can't believe when they see me buying Tofu (for myself) lol and then a hunking bunch of liver and hearts and other meats on sale!
    LOL
    Then I say uhm that's for the dogs.. lol the eyes get even bigger :D

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I get the same response it is pretty pathetic, I go to local Trader Joe, natural food store to get dog's meat and load up on drumsticks and then buy few vegan frozen entries to use at work in a crunch... it is pretty hilarious because I inevitably get asked why are you buying so much meat? and I am same answer, uhmmmm, it is for my dogs, vegan box is for me...:lol:

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Good for you, I have a LONG way to go to be vegan, but I really just don't eat meat for one day a week to get me started!

7. Mikos_Mom

Mikos_Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    So you're a vegan your dog is a carnivore? LOL Well, they say "opposites attract" :wink2:

Just curious.... Why are you vegan? You feed your dog the way nature intended... Do you think that human beings are not meant to consume any animal products? (No judgement whatsoever... I'm just curious!!)

I know that I personally couldn't do it. I tried giving up meat for 1 day a week... that was even hard for me!! :rolleyes2:

8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    looking for way Mother nature intended us/ and our doggies/ to eat sits well with me. We have been vegetarians for many years and are slowly transitioning to vegan style, DH and kids are better than me since I like my cheese and yogurt.
    There is excellent book by Dr Campbell
    http://www.thechinastudy.com/, pretty serious long term research and good read in general.
    this is some editorial
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/on-cancer-and-a-vegetaria_b_46661.html
    we worry so much about nutrition of our pets, who is going to worry about our own nutrition?

9. Bellesmom

Dec 22, 2010
    Surrey British Columbia
    I was a vegetarian for a couple of years, but missed meat too much.. we still don't eat much red meat though..

10. Ania

Ania Forums Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008
    Canada
    I'm trying very hard to cut meat out too. I try and have been really good for the most part on cuting meat out on 3-4 days of the week, and then only try to eat chicken that is raised humainly. The reason I would eventually like to go vegitarian is due to the way animals are treated at the farms and slaughter houses. It makes me sick to my stomach each time I see a semi with animals going to the slaughter - literaly my stomach turns and that gives me the motivation to cut meat out. I'm not able to cut it out completely yet. But I'm not sure what I would substitute for the protein as I really do not like tofu at all and there is only so much beans and legumes I can consume.

For the dogs, I buy organic, humainly raised meat from a local organic farm or get venison etc. The other week I ordered 10 organic, free range whole chickens, organic liver and 40 lbs of turkey necks, and backs ALL for the dogs! The guy thinks I'm crazy...