Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bully stick question

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Judyg, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Know it all friend claims she had a dog get colitis from bully sticks. Is this even possible?

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    If you goggle it, some stuff comes up...I think I would be most concerned about origin of the bully sticks, avoid anything from China and India, as standards are not as stringent for quality. My pups prefer tracheas and lambs ears,and for serious gnawing entertainment-they like hoofs:yes::yes:

3. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    Yes it is very possible. Especially if the bully stick (and rawhide chews) are left outside, and remain damp (or wet from rain). The amount of bacteria growth goes off the charts.

A dear friend almost lost her two Wire Fox Terriers. She would leave them during the day with big rawhide bones in their outside run. They became deathly ill over a period of time. Everyone was trying to figure out what was making them so very, very sick. Finally, her vet asked about their daily routine, and it was discovered. She brought in the rawhide and he took a scrapping of the rawhide and looked at it under the microscope. Ah ha!! All turned out fine, but after dealing with many trips to the vet and a lot of money spent.

4. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    wow, that is gross...who knew, but good info for sure!

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yes there would need to be like a 21 page questionnaire on a variety of things related to those bully sticks and all other aspects of care. Didn't think of handling the bully sticks. Mine are in the freezer until consumed or discarded if partially consumed.