Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy traits for agility

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Biscuit, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit Forums Regular

Feb 17, 2015
    California
    I don't have a sheltie yet, but when we do look for one, what qualities are good for a future agility dog? Also would it make a difference if it was a male or female, do they equally do well in agility?

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Gender doesn't matter, though some people prefer to work with girl or boy dogs exclusively. The parents' temperaments will be a big factor. You really want a dog that will be outgoing, confident, driven, busy and eager to please. Not always easy to see in a pup, but you can get an idea by how the parents respond to you.

I always think the biggest factor, however, is picking a dog that suits YOU. You want a dog that you can bond with and work with. 90% of the time this pup will be a pet and you need to get along.

You can get a dog with all the traits of a great agility dog, but if you are not able to bond with that dog you will never get the best out of them.

So yes, look at pups that are outgoing, enthusiastic, and curious, but always pick the pup that appeals to you most - even if it is the one that seems to have less natural talent than its siblings.

When I went to pick Sparrow I was torn between two pups, one was more outgoing and feisty, perhaps the better agility dog. But I just didn't quite click with her and I was drawn to Sparrow the slightly quieter pup. 9 months on, me and Sparrow have an amazing relationship and I love working with her. I picked the dog that suited me and that is the one that will always work the best for you:wink2:

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Male and females do equally well in agility however the females can be a bit more stubborn about whether or not they want to work with you on a given day. Males tend to want to please moreso than the females. (I have one of each and we do agility with both of them.)

If you are just starting with your first agility dog, I'd look for one built structurally sound first and foremost. The second trait I'd look for, in my opinion, is a moderately active dog. (I'm trying to actually think of how to describe my boy.) You want a dog with some drive to work but not an over-the-top drive that you can't control it; if that makes sense.

My boy, Edan, has always been Mr. Consistency. He's far from the fastest Sheltie out on the field but we'll qualify in 9 out of 10 runs; and that one non-qualifying run is usually my fault. He's well built and loves to work for me. IMO, the perfect dog to learn the sport with.

There is always time to "upgrade" to a drivier, faster dog after you learn the ins and out of agility. But, IMO, you want a dog who is willing to work but isn't over-the-top on drive.

I hope that made sense.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    1. Structure. Look for a very soundly built dog. Many conformation breeders will only offer dogs that will not succeed in the breed-ring as performance prospects. That's okay--but make sure you understand why they're not conformation prospects. Some faults won't hinder their agility careers (like an underbite, for example) and some will (like a straight front, for example).

2. Drive in combination with biddability. Don't be confused--drive doesn't mean crazy. Drive means willingness to play, engage, try and work. Yes, it usually means higher energy and a puppy that is more active. But it also means wanting to work with you, push through adversity, and take direction.

At the end of the day, you have to live with the dog 24/7. What if it doesn't love agility? Or what if it gets hurt and can't compete? Choose a dog you can live with even if sports are not part of its daily life.

A quick link I found:

This is about wheatens but I think she makes some good points: http://www.scwtca.org/documents/edu/perf-puppy-sorenson.pdf

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    THIS!

I cannot agree more with this statement. It was actually one of the key things I was looking for in my new puppy. Sure I train and compete but, first and foremost, the dog is a pet and member of my household. We need to be able to live with the dog 24x7x365 until the day comes when he/she journeys to the Bridge.

Thank you for mentioning this, Ashley.

6. Biscuit

Biscuit Forums Regular

Feb 17, 2015
    California
    Thanks everybody, very helpful advice. And that is right about the dog being with you 24/7. We are mainly getting a sheltie as a companion, while agility is 2nd. So I will just simply choose a puppy that is outgoing, friendly, playful, and has the "this is the one" kind of feeling.

7. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    This would be what I would be looking at.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    You just never know where you will be led. I had the shepherd. I had the tri. I said I would only get a color headed white male and do rally with him. I have an oversized shaded sable male and he is fabulous in the scent classes and we are only in week 3. Go figure. I wouldn't have it any other way though.

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    For me, it's structure, people orientated, play drive, fearless, and then what you personally like in a dog. My friend and I have very different tastes in dogs we like to work with even though the basis of the agility dog is the same. She likes a sweeter mushier dog. I like a more intense dog.

I good breeder can help you find the puppy that matches what you are looking for. Preferable one that understands what structure is needed for the sport.

10. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I have some questions for you Biscuit. You can't PM yet on here but if you do some posts then you can. Perhaps make some comments on some threads. Being in Central / Nor CA I know some of the places you may be looking at to consider and may know of others you aren't considering.

Dunno if you are on FB -- but I on there too (Cara Shay Melody Cubby) if that helps.