Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Flyer visits the herding lessons

Discussion in 'Herding & Tracking' started by 2GoodDogs, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Flyer was put in the duck pen yesterday, he did pretty good for a velcro puppy in a fear period. :)

His video's are in More Flyer, under the Fuzzy Photo Updates.

We saw the sheep and he watched pretty intently as my friends BC's worked them. The sheep in the holding pen were curious and walked up to little Flyer, who just sat and blinked at them. I'm sure he thought they were way big, and he is so small (for now!)

In the duck pen I saw a duck get broken, I'm still a little sad about that but I hear it happens and there is an extra charge for ducks that are "killed" - I was thinking killed by getting a bite taken out of them and was surprised it happens when the duck is run over by the dog and the breastbone takes a hit. Doesn't kill the duck instantly, but I imagine it is humanely taken out rather than dying a slow and painful death from the broken breastbone. The friends BC ran over the duck and the strike of its chest on the hard ground was pretty evident. That dog did nice herding work otherwise, I heard the instructor say he's ready for B course ducks at the next trial.

I heard about points for this, points for that - and just like obedience, you don't want your dog to pee or poop when on the herding field.

I've flirted with the notion of a herding title for years. It takes alot of committment when you live in the city. I think maybe once a month I could do it, it is a long drive there and back, and thinking of the possiblities is very exciting.

If Flyer passes the instinct test, I'll be happy. Even more happy if we can get started ducks...

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    His videos look great! He'll get used to it over time. He's still young. I really want to try herding with Ruutu and his sister actually just tried it not too long ago. Luckily, we live in the country and there is a person who does it like right down the road and my breeder knows her. I think maybe this summer we'll try it with Ruutu and Oshie (puppy) I definitely need to read up on herding though. I never have seen it before other than videos.

3. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I was trying to soak up as much as I could... balance points, pressure, learned what a "split" was, already knew what an outrun and a lift were.

I hadn't seen my friends BC herd in 2 years, when he was a wild young thing, and yesterday after 2 years of lessons - he was working like a seasoned farm hand. :smile2:

Next weekend there are AKC herding trials at this place, I would love to go but the calendar says I am going to a dog show with Justus and Flyer, and will get to meet up with Calliesmom! That's the priority for me, there will be other herding trials at Woods End farm.

4. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    That's so awesome they have trials by you. So far from what I can tell, AKC trials are 5-6 hours away from us. Ugh! Oh wait, just found one in Ohio 2 1/2 hrs away. Little Flyer will grow up to being an awesome herding dog :biggrin2:

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yep- priorities:winkgrin:

we are jealous that herding is so close to you......

6. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    It's a lot of fun watching the dogs work. I hope I can get Fletcher trained and tested this spring; he sure does love it.

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Sooooo addictive. My puppy got his PT on sheep at 11 months, and now we are learning outruns to make an attempt at Started A Sheep in December. He hates ducks, which is OK by me, but thinks cows might be pretty neat.

SOOOOOOOO ADDICTIVE…..

8. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    We visit the sheep pen (twice) on Saturday! :) It's sheltie club's herding day, instinct will be tested, but not the AKC Instinct test. I don't know if I'll spend the extra $$ on that, unless his first trip to the pen looks real good...

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    both of the brown dogs have their AKC herding instinct certificate:yes:
    the bi boys were tested on non-dog broke sheep so I'm not sure that they'll recover from that. Jocu, at least when we went back to the place where he had worked with the sheep, wanted nothing to do with them and basically just followed me around. Destin had a couple flashes so I might try him again when he gets a little older.

10. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    So does AKC actually send you a certificate? I secretary a lot of herding trials in my area, and people ask me "what do I get?" and I'm like "I have no idea." The rule book is vague, and I haven't done the Instinct Tests.