Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Drugs & Medications
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:34 AM

My vet is a big fan of Advantage for fleas because she feels its less toxic than many other preventatives.

For ticks she recommends the Preventic Collar. We tried it one year and had really good luck with it. It looks like a flea collar, except that it works really well at killing ticks, unlike the flea collars which we'd find fleas laying eggs under.

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/de...ollar-for-dogs
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:40 AM

Our vet now recommends Comfortis. The office carries at least a half dozen or so preventatives, but he recommends Frontline Plus and Comfortis. I remember reading a little about Comfortis four or five years ago.

Does anyone use Comfortis or have experience with it? What do you do for tick prevention? Ticks are an issue here, so I'm not really in favor of a product that doesn't keep ticks off.

I've considered natural alternatives (garlic and brewers yeast), but we live on the edge of the woods and I don't have a lot of confidence that garlic/brewers yeast will be as effective.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasb's Owner View Post
Our vet now recommends Comfortis. The office carries at least a half dozen or so preventatives, but he recommends Frontline Plus and Comfortis. I remember reading a little about Comfortis four or five years ago.

Does anyone use Comfortis or have experience with it? What do you do for tick prevention? Ticks are an issue here, so I'm not really in favor of a product that doesn't keep ticks off.

I've considered natural alternatives (garlic and brewers yeast), but we live on the edge of the woods and I don't have a lot of confidence that garlic/brewers yeast will be as effective.
Comfortis does nothing for ticks.
we have used it for fleas- no complaints.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:18 PM

I use Trifexis for fleas and heartworm, which is basically Comfortis and Interceptor together in one pill. This is my second year giving it to my shelties and its worked great, my only issue is that my one sheltie doesn't like the taste, but she'll easily take it in a pill pocket or wrapped in cheese.

Comfortis and Trifexis do not treat ticks, you'd still need something else for ticks.

Like I said above, give the tick collar a try in addition to one of these. Supposedly less toxic.