Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightplum View Post
technically you can leave it a few days...we dont like to with show puppies but a pet should be fine....in fact if your going to the breeder id just leave it well enough alone..she can have the ears out in record time if you start adding your own concoctions to remove it, it may hamper the re-glueing effect if there is residual from your remover.
I agree here! I killed my chances to properly glue Bacca's ears by being too aggressive trying to remove the old glue.

It got to the point I could not longer glue because there wasn't anything left to glue because I made so many mistakes at first.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:44 PM

I have Detachol, Unisolve, and Zoeze at my house haha. I have to say that I liked Zoeze the most. Unisolve is my second choice. Goo gone is a toxic chemical...I couldn't believe what it did to my poor dog's ears. He ended up losing all the fur on his ears for about 3 months! The skin peeled and peeled...not a safe product for animals at all!

Please take the time to call around for Unisolve or Zoeze...none of my neighborhood pharmacies had Unisolve, but my local medical supply store did. Zoeze I bought off eBay...worth the wait! Got it in just 3 days.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:51 PM

Oops, correction, I have a bottle of De-solv-it, not goo gone. Going to look into Unisolve!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:57 PM

Hubby took her to the breeders and she once again has lovely tidy little ears :). Thanks for the suggestions! 1000+Stain Remover is what our breeder uses. Sounds like what I would be using to clean pee accidents from the carpet but apparently took it out quickly with no irritation to her skin at all.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:27 AM

Uggghhh...ordered a bottle of Tear Mender and also UniSolve from an on-line pet show supply store (also just had to have a very funky bamboo handled brush...but that is an aside).
I tried to get the old glue off and I feel like I am torturing my poor puppy! She is so good and I don't know if it is just my removal technique but boy does that stuff stick.
Is it important to remove the old glue completely? She looks like a kid with chewing gum stuck in her hair right now!
Hubby is home from out of town tonight and I hoped to have her looking lovely for his return. He got the tipping lesson from the breeder so I am hoping he has better luck. I am ready to just forget about it at this point!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluneBrae View Post
Uggghhh...ordered a bottle of Tear Mender and also UniSolve from an on-line pet show supply store (also just had to have a very funky bamboo handled brush...but that is an aside).
I tried to get the old glue off and I feel like I am torturing my poor puppy! She is so good and I don't know if it is just my removal technique but boy does that stuff stick.
Is it important to remove the old glue completely? She looks like a kid with chewing gum stuck in her hair right now!
Hubby is home from out of town tonight and I hoped to have her looking lovely for his return. He got the tipping lesson from the breeder so I am hoping he has better luck. I am ready to just forget about it at this point!
I have to admit that Cranberry mostly did not have the old glue removed the seven months that we glued his ears
we never bought any glue remover either.......
they turned out ok: http://cranberrycallie.shutterfly.com/840
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:43 AM

You can get the glue removers (and tapes etc.) here.
http://wicketsbymel.com/GluesRemovers.html

We use Zoeze. Put it on a cotton square pad and gently rub up, then follow with a fine-tooth greyhound comb to get the residue out of the hair. It takes a while, but the glue does come off. Then wash the ear with warm soap and water and let dry, or rub the ear out with some alcohol on a cotton swab and let dry.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:54 PM

When I finally found the Detachol, it removed all the glue and painlessly.

It was only unfortunate that I found the Detachol too late to be able to reglue. By that time I had resorted to cutting out the hair and there was nothing left.

Mea Culpa, by breeder told me to get Detachol but I waiting too long and then couldn't find it. I had to order it online. By the time it arrived it was too late.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:02 AM

All I can say is thank goodness my hubby is home! Two minutes with "Dad" and the ears look just great. Sigh......