Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Diet & Nutrition > Commercial Food
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

Reply
View First Unread View First Unread  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:37 AM
jesshall jesshall is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Agawam, MA
Posts: 78
Default Senstive Stomach food

Does anyone know of a food that's good for senstive stomachs? With no corn.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:35 AM
SheltieLuver SheltieLuver is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 767
Default

Wellness has a limited ingredient food made for sensitive stomachs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:23 PM
Silaria's Avatar
Silaria Silaria is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,743
Default

Wellness Simple.

It's a limited ingredient food (1 protein and 1 grain). I use the Salmon and Brown Rice formula but they also make a Duck formula and Lamb formula.

Blue Buffalo also makes a limited ingredient food, Blue Basics.

There is also Go brand food. Their sensitive stomach formulas are Salmon and Oatmeal and there is also one with Duck. I'm actually going to switch from Wellness Simple to Go because I like the fact that it's from Canada and there are no antibiotics in the meat sources.
__________________
Silaria is owned by:
C-ATCH TACH4 Casia's Celtic Fire/Edan RA OA AXJ AXP OF CGC TAM8 TMAG8 PD RL2-CoE
TACH Casia's Calamity Jane/CJ RN NAP NJP NFP CGC CL3 TAM TMAG2 RL1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:04 AM
k9kreationz's Avatar
k9kreationz k9kreationz is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,947
Default

I believe Nature's Variety also has a limited ingredient food. I think it has one protein. Not sure if it's grain-free or not, but I know they wouldn't have corn.
__________________
~Cheryl (owned by)
Daval Outta My Mind OA AXJ NF Koji (6)
Daval My Dark Perfection RN CGC Miko my sheltie angel (5/98-11/13)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
BarbV's Avatar
BarbV BarbV is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,820
Default

I know of several.

What is the exact problem that your facing? What food are you feeding currently?

I'm loathe to spout out foods without some better idea as the problem itself.
__________________
Barb and "The Boys"
Indy The Devil dog!
Callan The Puppy
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:55 PM
Lightplum Lightplum is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
I know of several.

What is the exact problem that your facing? What food are you feeding currently?

I'm loathe to spout out foods without some better idea as the problem itself.
yes what are you feeding currently? What are the issues you are having? Have you tried limiting treats as well, since most of those can cause problems as well.
__________________
Linda
~~~~~
Irish Hill
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
OntarioSheltie's Avatar
OntarioSheltie OntarioSheltie is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,495
Default

There are a number of good limited ingredient foods on the market now. Wellness Simple, Blue Basics (Blue Buffalo), Go, as others have mentioned. Acana is one of my favorite brands and has two new limited ingredient foods as well.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

I don't know what your dog's issue is, but often just switching to a grain free food can be helpful. Wellness, Acana, Orijen and Now are all grain free or have grain free varieties. Again, Acana and Orijen are two of my favorites, but that's just me.
__________________
Melissa (Sadie, Ginny and Toby's Mom)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
jesshall jesshall is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Agawam, MA
Posts: 78
Default

Thank you all for your repsonses. This is actually for my Westie he's been having some stomach issues since Feb. In Feb he was vomiting blood and had bloody diaherra my husband took him to the vet and he was put on fluids right away and then tested for everything at the end of the day the vet said we had to take him to an emergency vet b/c he had lost so much blood he might need a transfusion and he need to be monitored over night. He did well overnight we brought him home with a diagnosis of HGE (Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) and the vet gave us antibiotics and probiotics to give him and to feed him a bland diet and work his food slowly back in. We did this and all went fine until April 6th he started again with the vomiting and diaherra we were able to get him to the vet much sooner and we were able to bring him home that night with the same diagnosis and the same treatment. He has been getting better we have ruled out everything he's had x-rays both visits he had barium x-rays he has had full blood panels done and we ruled out Cushings and Addisons disease. I think it maybe IBD and I am looking to switch his food. I am having my breeder's vet look over his records to see if they can figure something else out. Right now I feed Fromm (Adult Gold) to both my westie and sheltie and the sheltie has had no issues. The westie breeder has said she knows westies have sensitive stomachs and she would try to find a sensitive somtach diet. Not sure where to start but he is allergic to corn so that's why I asked for no corn. He also is very picky and will not eat anything with salmon in it. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
OntarioSheltie's Avatar
OntarioSheltie OntarioSheltie is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesshall View Post
Thank you all for your repsonses. This is actually for my Westie he's been having some stomach issues since Feb. In Feb he was vomiting blood and had bloody diaherra my husband took him to the vet and he was put on fluids right away and then tested for everything at the end of the day the vet said we had to take him to an emergency vet b/c he had lost so much blood he might need a transfusion and he need to be monitored over night. He did well overnight we brought him home with a diagnosis of HGE (Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) and the vet gave us antibiotics and probiotics to give him and to feed him a bland diet and work his food slowly back in. We did this and all went fine until April 6th he started again with the vomiting and diaherra we were able to get him to the vet much sooner and we were able to bring him home that night with the same diagnosis and the same treatment. He has been getting better we have ruled out everything he's had x-rays both visits he had barium x-rays he has had full blood panels done and we ruled out Cushings and Addisons disease. I think it maybe IBD and I am looking to switch his food. I am having my breeder's vet look over his records to see if they can figure something else out. Right now I feed Fromm (Adult Gold) to both my westie and sheltie and the sheltie has had no issues. The westie breeder has said she knows westies have sensitive stomachs and she would try to find a sensitive somtach diet. Not sure where to start but he is allergic to corn so that's why I asked for no corn. He also is very picky and will not eat anything with salmon in it. Thanks again for your help.
So sorry to hear that you and your Westie have been through so much!

Given his history, I'm not sure that any of us on the forums are qualified to give food recommendations. At this point you might be better going with whatever your vet recommends.

My dogs personally go crazy for Acana, they act like I feed them cookies for dinner. I often feed it to them as treats, they never seem to know the difference. They've never acted this way with any other foods.

I use grain free but you could try the limited ingredient ones. Neither one has fish or corn. I'd recommend Duck and Bartlett Pear. It has limited ingredients and the protein source should be completely new, which can help rule out a food sensitivity. It lists whole oats as a grain source.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acan...ew.php?sku=dbp
__________________
Melissa (Sadie, Ginny and Toby's Mom)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
jesshall jesshall is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Agawam, MA
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSheltie View Post
So sorry to hear that you and your Westie have been through so much!

Given his history, I'm not sure that any of us on the forums are qualified to give food recommendations. At this point you might be better going with whatever your vet recommends.

My dogs personally go crazy for Acana, they act like I feed them cookies for dinner. I often feed it to them as treats, they never seem to know the difference. They've never acted this way with any other foods.

I use grain free but you could try the limited ingredient ones. Neither one has fish or corn. I'd recommend Duck and Bartlett Pear. It has limited ingredients and the protein source should be completely new, which can help rule out a food sensitivity. It lists whole oats as a grain source.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acan...ew.php?sku=dbp


Well my vet doesn't have any recommendations other than keeping him on probitotics I kind of hate my vet but we are new to the area and we have not had any problems like this with him until recently. It is hard to find a vet when you are new to an area and you don't know anyone to ask for suggestions. I have been very unstatisfied with this vet thus far. This has happened twice in two months and they don't seem to have any answers or care to find any. We have already spent over 2,000 dollars on these two episodes and we would just like to find something to try to make sure the poor dog doesn't go through this again. It's life threatening I know that and I do take him to the vet they just suck. The onset is so sudden it's not like he has soft stool then the bloody diaherra it's just boom bloody vomit and then the diaherra starts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.