Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Gear > Clothing, Leashes & Collars
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

Reply
View First Unread View First Unread  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:15 PM
Lysette85 Lysette85 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 479
Default Harness that won't damage fur??

So, Little Bear and Claussen both have rolled leather martingales. Claussen's rough and fur under his neck are flawless as far as. Of being able to tell he's vet had a collar on (they only wear them when we go out). Little Bear on the other hand, has the silkier coat but his fur on his throat looks like it's broken right off and maybe even has split ends. I want to get something that will stay well below the throat to see if it makes a difference and really was the collar being the problem. I've considered a "face harness" but he heels so well I don't want to make his walk unpleasant. Any suggestions for a harness that is bare minimum contact (not under elbows) preferably not nylon as to prevent matting or broken fur?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:23 PM
Calliesmom Calliesmom is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: near Mobile, AL
Posts: 7,696
Default

not sure what you mean by not under the elbows.....

we use this harness: http://www.petco.com/product/107959/...t=OnSiteSearch

there are several threads already on harnesses- in the Clothing, leashes and collars section. lots of other recommendations there
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:28 PM
sheltieluvr6 sheltieluvr6 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California
Posts: 127
Default

I've been looking online for a harness that won't damage and coat and found out that most are either made out of nylon or leather. There's also leather though that might solve your problem. Looking at the different types of harnesses, you probably want a Step-in harness which has the least amount of fabric. I've provided a link for examples of the different types. One problem is that they usually have strange leapord prints on them. I hope that helps. I'm curious to see what others say too.

http://www.pupproperty.com/small-dog-harnesses/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:05 PM
Caro's Avatar
Caro Caro is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 4,689
Default

Anything that is on the fur is going to rub at some point. I use a light weight nylon harness on mine all the time. Occassionally they get some minor knots (usually from shedded undercoat), it doesn't happen often and mine wear theirs several hours a day. The trick is to ensure the harness is not too loose so it doesn't move about. I fit lots of harnesses at the dog club and most people have their harnesses too loose so they move around the dog unless the dogs pull into them (and you don't want to encourage that).

Deska gets the frayed ruff look, but its just the result of his dry coat. I put baby oil on my hands and then rub it into the ends to give it a bit of extra oil.
__________________
Caro and the pups - Deska and Tully
& Tully's cats.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:42 AM
mbfrench mbfrench is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 5,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBella85 View Post
So, Little Bear and Claussen both have rolled leather martingales. Claussen's rough and fur under his neck are flawless as far as. Of being able to tell he's vet had a collar on (they only wear them when we go out). Little Bear on the other hand, has the silkier coat but his fur on his throat looks like it's broken right off and maybe even has split ends. I want to get something that will stay well below the throat to see if it makes a difference and really was the collar being the problem. I've considered a "face harness" but he heels so well I don't want to make his walk unpleasant. Any suggestions for a harness that is bare minimum contact (not under elbows) preferably not nylon as to prevent matting or broken fur?
I use what Calliesmom uses,and love,love them. Trapp & Jasper recently wore thiers for a whole wek straight. Trapp was on vacation with us,Jasper was with firends.

They blend well,you don't even know they are wearing them,and they don't mash down the coat.As you can easily brush them to make them more comfortable. I love the design,easy & quick to put on.
Highly recommend.
__________________
Sir Baron Von Trapp~Trapp CGC,TDI
Lavendel's Precious Gem~ Jasper CGC
Cinco De Maya Mia~Mia
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 05:44 PM
Diana Diana is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 664
Default

I have this rolled leather harness for Buffy. We looked a while for one and found out this place is actually right by me! But they do most of their business online. This is a leash/harness combo. http://www.gollygear.com/pch_lth_harn.htm

The only thing is Buffy tends to beat up her harness. We let her drag her leash behind her so she can scamper around in big fields. She also chews her leash. Our first one lasted about a year and I expect similar from this one. But I do like leather better than nylon; nylon irritates her skin. She does get a little pink on her chest where the knot is if it's too tight sometimes but this one generally does minimal damage.

We also have one like this: http://www.gollygear.com/adjsoftharn.html I don't like that it mashes her fur down but I think it's nice and soft so I don't think it does any damage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:37 PM
Lysette85 Lysette85 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliesmom View Post
not sure what you mean by not under the elbows.....

we use this harness: http://www.petco.com/product/107959/...t=OnSiteSearch

there are several threads already on harnesses- in the Clothing, leashes and collars section. lots of other recommendations there
By "under the elbows" I thought maybe there was some type of harness that doesn't go directly behind their elbow...it seems it must feel irritating to feel something in your "armpit" as you're walking. I'd like to find something that looks more like a working harness that just goes horizontally across the chest and stays out of their armpit as they walk.

On a side note...I also see that the chain from the martingale has also caused discoloration of Little Bear's white throat...so strange that Claussen hasn't had this problem at all. Here's a link to a pic of him with his martingale on, and another with the visible darkened and frayed fur.

http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set...ser=1128050271

http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set...ser=1128050271




Thank you for the suggestions! I do like the Percocet one and the rolled leather one. I think the rolled leather one would look great on Little Bear's black coat.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:46 PM
Calliesmom Calliesmom is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: near Mobile, AL
Posts: 7,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteBella85 View Post
By "under the elbows" I thought maybe there was some type of harness that doesn't go directly behind their elbow...it seems it must feel irritating to feel something in your "armpit" as you're walking. I'd like to find something that looks more like a working harness that just goes horizontally across the chest and stays out of their armpit as they walk.

On a side note...I also see that the chain from the martingale has also caused discoloration of Little Bear's white throat...so strange that Claussen hasn't had this problem at all. Here's a link to a pic of him with his martingale on, and another with the visible darkened and frayed fur.

http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set...ser=1128050271

http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set...ser=1128050271




Thank you for the suggestions! I do like the Percocet one and the rolled leather one. I think the rolled leather one would look great on Little Bear's black coat.
can't see the FB pix.

potentially one reason that one dog has an issue that the other dog does not - is the other dog- either chewing/biting that area causing excess moisture that the biter doesn't get.
I have this problem with Dixie's ears- always matting behind them. It's because Cran is always chewing on her head when they play. His head is a little higher and Dixie tends to go for his legs to chew on. makes brushing her head a pain though- there's always a knot somewhere.......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:11 AM
Lysette85 Lysette85 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliesmom View Post
can't see the FB pix.

potentially one reason that one dog has an issue that the other dog does not - is the other dog- either chewing/biting that area causing excess moisture that the biter doesn't get.
I have this problem with Dixie's ears- always matting behind them. It's because Cran is always chewing on her head when they play. His head is a little higher and Dixie tends to go for his legs to chew on. makes brushing her head a pain though- there's always a knot somewhere.......

I'll embed the pics tomorrow so you can see. (I'll have to drag out the real computer for that...ive been using just my iphone lately) Little Bear is so short and is always the aggressor while playing, I don't think it's from activities. Its so strange that this wasn't an issue until just a month ago...but, he did only just turn a year old march 30 so his coat is still coming in. I'll post the pics tomorrow and let me know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:10 AM
Lysette85 Lysette85 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 479
Default Here are some pictures with the collar on and of his fur on his throat.

Here are some pics with the collar on (from several months ago), and how is fur looks now. (The chain in the martingale often pulls the martingale "shut" as you can see in one of the pictures. Could the chain be causing the discoloration? (Keep in mind they only have their collars on for maybe 3 hours a day-never in the house)

lb3.jpg

Littlebear9.jpg

Littlebear8.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.