Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why did you get a Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by BarbV, Sep 16, 2009.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Toffeemom started this discussion on a different thread and I thought it was a great discussion, so decided to start it again over here (so as not to detract from the other thread).

My story:
    Growing up we always had at least one dog, all in succession: 2 Cockers, 1 Sheltie, 1 Bearded collie. Of all our dogs, Callie, the Sheltie was with us the longest and therefore the breed I got to know the most.

My husband was a cat person - hated dogs. He thought they were stinky, slobbery, shedding all the time, and just generally getting in the way. When the time finally came that my household was settled enough to get a dog, I had to work really hard to come up with a breed that was sufficiently "cat-like" to appeal to my hubby. But neither did I want a walking fluff ball. I wanted a dog that was still a dog. I researched for ages, but it always came back to Shelties. So Timber came home. And my husband adored him. Even when we split up, he still loved to babysit if I had to go away.

When Timber died last year, I considered a different breed because my son and I felt strongly that the new pup should never "replace" Timber. We looked at Papillons, Cavaliers, Poms, Miniature Eskimos.....but it kept coming back to Shelties! So now I have two again.

Why Sheltie?
    - They are the perfect size - not too big, not too small
    - Gorgeous to look at
    - Smart
    - Trainable, eager to please
    - Love their owners, dedicated, loyal
    - Just the right amount of energy requirements.

Need I say more?

2. Aztec

Aztec Forums Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2009
    Ohio
    Well, I knew I wanted a herding breed, and was interested in shelties before I even got Laika. But we wanted to get a rescue puppy, and got impatient waiting for a purebred sheltie puppy. So we went to look at some aussie mixes. The aussie mixes weren't there...but some "Husky/Beagle mixes" were. We were able to tell that they weren't beagle at all...so we took one home.

After years of working on my dad to get a second dog, he agreed. My sister had her heart set on a sheltie. My dad told her if she could raise the money to buy one, she could get one. Somewhere along the line I talked her into a mini aussie shepherd, (I really wanted a red merle or red tri) so that is what we were looking into getting. We were looking at breeders and such. When my vet told me that a mutual friend of our's sheltie had just had puppies, and that we should consider getting one. My sister - shelties being her first choice - wanted one. So we went to check them out. The same puppy, on all three visits, crawled into her lap. That was Aztec.

So shelties weren't my first breed choice. I always loved the way they looked, but the ones I met I felt were timid and I tend to like more outgoing dogs. But now that I have one, I don't know if I could go without them. Theya aren't suspicous about their owners...only newcomers and strangers!

I mostly love their noses. That long, beautiful face really appeals to me. I also love their prancing, and I adore the colors they come in.

3. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I've always loved herding dogs. My first 'babysitter' was an Australian Shepherd. Jack kept me in yard while my mother was busy with my younger brother and sister. We had a few dairy cows when I was very young, and Jack and I would bring the cows in when it was time to milk in the evening.

My dear Foxy, who passed at 17 last April, was a beautiful Sheltie-Chow mix -- much more Sheltie than Chow in the temperament department.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2664888016_4cbbbec682.jpg

For a few years, I thought I might like to have a Belgian Terverun, but when it came right down to it a Sheltie's energy level and personality is a perfect fit for me.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

A Sheltie Chow mix! What a combination! It's like the Lion King, doggie-style! The thick short coat, combined with a Sheltie mane!

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Oh yes! A Sheltie moving is poetry! I love, love, love Bacca's trot! He reminds me of a Lippazaner Stallion when he moves (head high, front legs kicking out, his feathers swing as he moves)

6. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Holy cow oh my..is that ever a gorgeous dog!

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My first dog was a maltese, when I was 6 years old. After a few years, my brother and I begged my parents for another dog. They told us we can get another dog when we sell our house. They only told us this because our house had been on the market for 8 years! Well, only a month later, we sold the house. My parents kept their word and me and my brother decided we wanted a sheltie. I honestly have no idea why. We didn't know anything about the breed. We just liked the lassie look. Back then the internet wasn't popular and we didn't know better, so we purchased my sheltie puppy Brandie from the pet company.
    She was extremely smart, loving and easy to train. She was attached to my side. I really felt like she was my best friend. Sadly, my family went on vacation in 2004 only to come home and find out my Brandie passed away. We were extremely upset. I lost my best friend.
    Only a few months later, my brother and mother decided to get a chihuahua, against my will. I was not ready to replace my Brandie yet.
    Finding myself unemployed this summer, I decided I was ready for another sheltie in life. My chihuahua and maltese are wonderful and loving dogs, but they're not the same as a sheltie. I miss the energy and playfulness of a sheltie. I found a breeder in PA and now I have a 16 week old puppy :)

8. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I love reading all these stories.

For myself. I grew up with a Sheltie. His name was Prince (but we called him Princey). He'd come if you whistled. Oh, he was banned to the backyard. He only got to come into the kitchen a little, when it was July 4th. And he had a doghouse in the garage for when it was too cold or too hot outside. With that said, I loved this dog with all my heart. He was MY perfect companion. He'd play with me, sit with me, even comfort me. I think I chose another Sheltie for this reason....when I was young, my brother wouldn't let me play on our jungle gym in the backyard. As I walked away crying, Prince came to me, snuggled his nose into my hand and leaned up against me. That's my strongest memory of him. My second is when he came to me, gave me a kiss, then went to go lie down. He circled 3 times, lied down, went to sleep....and never woke up again.

Our next dog was a Yorkie. Hyper, always biting everyone, aggressive, a true terror. I mean terrier. I did NOT like that dog one bit.

When I got married and hubby and I wanted a dog, he wanted a GSD, Golden, Lab, Rhodesian Ridgeback, etc. You see the size right? We lived in a condo (it wasn't small, but no backyard, no yard at all). We looked at the norwich/norfolk Terriers, King Charles, etc. Overall, I refused to get a Terrier, the mid-sized dogs were hyper (think BC, Aussie, etc). The other has a big LONG list of hereditary issues.

My final choice was a Sheltie. Can be calmer than most herders (if temperament is right). Can be a barker, but not always. Hereditary issues were small. Good size for a condo w/o a backyard. We started going to pet shows and checking out the dogs. Ended up at a local ASSA chapter meeting and had some phone numbers to call. And next thing I know, I'm driving 100 miles to get my dog.

Miko didn't bark until he was 1. At that, he only barked at the doorbell. He didn't whine and wasn't hyper (after his puppy years). He was the non-Sheltie of Shelties (btw, Koji is typical Sheltie - noisy, lots of energy, way too smart for his own good). Miko is now a product of a broken home (we divorced and moved around a lot).

With my second husband, we looked at Shiba's (don't tell Koji) and Alaskan Klee Kai's, and the Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever. Needless to say, we ended up with another Sheltie. I have to say, I'm unsure about my next dog because I'm liking Koji's size (17"). I may have to go "bigger" or maybe just buy a pet quality HUGE Sheltie. ;)

That's my story. I love my Shelties.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I agree!

You forgot cuddles - that's the main reason I love shelties.
    Plus funny and fun loving (I love the OCD behaviour).

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I got my first sheltie when I was in fifth grade. I honestly have no idea why we chose shelties. I was a huge lassie fan...and probably my parents wanted something a bit smaller?

Anyways, I was dead set on naming her "Maple Cream" --my dad did not approve! So we named her Aimee, and she was the best dog I've ever met (shhh! Don't tell Bentley!) My parents were divorced, and I was an only child growing up, so she was my best friend. She always knew when I was sad or happy and responded accordingly. She was very smart and considerate. She would have been great at obedience and rally had I known about it (I grew up in a small town so it wasn't really around). She just passed away this past year, and I still miss her.

My fiance wasn't really a dog person, but I knew that as soon as I graduated that I wanted another sheltie. We discussed and argued over finding another dog and he conceded that if I wanted a sheltie that bad, we could get one :) so we found Bentley and the rest is history!

I will probably never get another breed :)