Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

all-white Shelties

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by DebbieGilbert, Oct 27, 2010.

1. DebbieGilbert

DebbieGilbert Forums Regular

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Solid white Shelties are disqualified in the breed standard, for a good reason: the all-white trait is linked to blindness and deafness. So I was shocked to see pictures of all-white Shelties on this Web site. It seems to me that it would be irresponsible to deliberately breed white Shelties, even if you're just planning to sell them as pets.

Can anyone explain to me why some breeders do this?

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Are you speaking of Color Headed White, Piebald, or Merle shelties?

All three of these genes will create "white" dogs, only one routinely causes hearing/sight impairments.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    If you are speaking of Mia she is blind and deaf and was saved by MBFrench (and now living a great life).

As to why someone would do it, people do dumb and bad things all the time. Could be someone that is careless and just thinks puppies would be good, doesn't understand, puppy mill, or even and accident.

If anyone is planning it then I agree that you should strongly discourage it. Once it is done all you can do is spoil the pup the same as any other :biggrin2:

4. DebbieGilbert

DebbieGilbert Forums Regular

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, Georgia
    I was referring to Shelties that have no other color than white, not even on their head.

5. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I'm going to take time to answer this question.Be it I am not a breeder.

BUT....I am an owner of a beautiful double merle,all white.And you are probably referring to Mia,since she is the only white sheltie,that is deaf & blind as a member of this forum.

Let it be known,I took her from a rescue.Even though she is blind & deaf,why does she not deserve to be a part of this forum,or be givin what we feel is a righful quality of life.

Yes the man that owned the parents was irresponsible,and in my opinion quite an @ss. They can't shut this breeder down.He has done nothing illegal in the eyes of animal control,from what info I do and have obtained from the rescue where Mia came from.
    He provides,heat,AC/dogs are all up to date on shots,and are regularly checked on by authorities.An they are healthy.

This breeding that took place,well we don't know if it was accidental,as he does have many shelties.THIS IS THE FIRST TIME..this rescue has taken pups from this breeder,that were all double diilutes.

Could it have been accidental...could be~ I do know the rescue has had other pups,that this owner has brought to them to help him find good homes.None of which have been lethal whites.

It just so happened,Mia & her siblings were at the brunt of some twit,that either is not well versed in genetics,and after the fact...he did not know what to do with this litter but surrender them.

As far as Mia,being a member of Sheltie Nation,I thank each and every one of these members for thier welcome of her being home.Plus we have 2 other pups that are here as well.

As far as you are concerned...you don't have to read,or be kept abreast of Mia and her progress.That is your choice.

As far as we as owners of Mia,she is a delightful,loving little bundle of pure joy.And has made a wonderful addition to our family.

As far as the integrity of this site,I applaude the mods,admin, members,for giving us the oppourtunity to be able to share with every one...even if she is not recognized or "disqualified" as far as the standard of shelties.

6. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Thank you!

7. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    That would be Mia.She has no pigment at all.All pink & white~:wink2:

8. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    As a moderator, I too would like to refute your suggestion that this site in any way promotes the intentional breeding of "double dilute"/homozygous white Shelties. The one homozygous white dog on the Forum is a rescue, and her new owners have always been forthcoming about her provenance.

9. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    I have been looking through the threads for Mia's original thread but cannot find it. It might help to post a link on her history if someone could do this?

I am going to be honest and admit I had my reservations on how much quality of life a white sheltie would be able to have. Since she has joined MBFrench and we have watched her progress, she has taken her place in our hearts and others too, with her own special personality. It's good to be wrong sometimes:smile2:

While the deliberate breeding of Merle to Merle because of the likely consequenses cannot be condoned, Mia has shown me that where it has happened and the past cannot be changed, surely the resulting puppies do deserve a chance to have a happy life and it is possible for them to do so if they are lucky enough to find someone who is prepared to give them that chance.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    HI, this website does have VERY stringent rules on posting litters for sale now. There are certain qualifications that have to be met in order for litters to be posted, infact since they were enacted not one litter has been posted! I say 3 cheers for Kelly (forum creator) for keep the integrity of breed front and foremost over making $$$ off the litter posting section!

In no way was there ever listed White shelties for sale. There was originally posted under the rescue section since she was in foster care, from there mbfrench adopted her. Yes since than there has been numerous pics and threads posted on the forum, but not once was anyone trying to sell a white puppy!!:smile2:

As far as people breeding them, generally its done by BYB who dont know any better or bother to educate themselves in genetics. And they are sold what they think is a sable puppy when infact it is a sable merle and breed to a merle and/or they dont know better and they breed two merles together....:rolleyes2:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010