Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can Dogs Have Agave?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by suristo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. suristo

suristo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have an organic peanut butter I wanted to put in Monet's Kong, but I was wondering if it's okay to use it if it is slightly sweetened with Agave Nectar? I gave him just a tiny tid-bit of it this afternoon, and he loved it. I don't want to make him sick though. I was hoping I could put it in the kong and freeze it.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

2. suristo

Feb 7, 2011
    Kentucky
    Does anyone happen to know if dogs can have agave? I looked online a bit, but I find varying answers. I haven't been able to get him any other peanut butter yet.

3. kash

kash Forums Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Has your vet weighed in on this question? We use agave around here, and Bailey used to get a lick of the spoon every now and then, but nothing much. It is a natural sweetener, actually sweeter than sugar, and I have heard of dogs getting honey. I'll be interested in this answer, too....

4. suristo

Feb 7, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have not, I will definitely ask when I get him neutered. That's what I thought - I never did end up giving him any. The peanut butter just has a bit of agave, but it's organic otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011