Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Safe For Pets: Wood Floor Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by take4roll10, Jun 12, 2011.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm looking for a wood floor cleaner that is safe for pets.

Bailey is always eating stuff off the floor...food, ice, etc. I've been using a swifter wet jet, but I'm sure that is not great for dogs.

Anyone know of a natural, safe for pets cleaner that I can use to mop wood floors? If there's nothing good I can buy, I'm willing to make some too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

I use warm water with vinegar to clean my wood floors. It seems to clean them nicely (works well on windows) and is actually a really good antibacterial and antiviral agent (as good as bleach). I also keep a spray bottle of vinegar and water in the kitchen to clean my counters. The added bonus is that it is way cheaper than floor cleaning products!

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Is vinegar safe for dogs? Isn't it made from grapes?

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
  5. SunChaser

SunChaser Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2008
    Central Florida
    I use nothing but vinegar and water on my wood floors. Vinegar is made from apple cider or apples not grapes and it is safe for all animals including dogs and cats.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I use vinegar and water too, I'm told it's safe and better for your floors than most things.

When I need a serious cleaner, I use Spic and Span which says on the front of the bottle that it's "pet friendly" and safe to use. I don't use it often, but it's good to have in the cabinet.

7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I have heard bad things about using vinegar on hard wood, so I never used it. I use vinegar and water on mostly everything else, but was warned against it for hard wood. The acid in the vinegar will etch the finish and let water eventually get onto the wood and cause damage.

I just googled it and here are some articles that tell why vinegar is not advised for hard wood:
    http://www.woodsthebest.com/Flooring/Flooring_Maint.htm
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Cleaning-Hardwood-Floor-With-Vinegar---A-Definite-No&id=617290
    http://www.myflooringhelper.com/vinegar-to-clean-hardwood-floors.html

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Well I can tell you what was used on these floors for 35 years before we bought the house. Mrs. Lewis used brewed tea & warm water.Yep...tea. These floors have maintained thier beautiful finish all these years. so yes..I still use tea on them..

I do have a floor machine,but when I do use it,it is warm water that goes in the filling station.Brian is talking about getting me a Haun floor cleaner.I have been looking at them seriously. No chemicals,and they are fantastic for wood,ceremic,& finsihed floors.
    here is the one I am looking at

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...iSteam-Cleaner-wHandheld-w-4-Pads-Attachments

9. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

That looks fantastic but does the heat from the steam cause problems with the floor finish?

10. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    To my knowledge no.Steam cleaning floors from what I have read,with a GOOD steam cleaner kills 99% of all germs,including staf,e-coli,flu. Probably more to.

I watched this demo on QVC one day,when it was a special of the day,when it was used on various surfaces,the surface was completely cleaned with no water being left on the surface.

What I particularly liked about this unit,is that it can be detached and used on surfaces as well.You can use it on curtains,counters,kitchen and of course the bathroom walls etc.

Even comes with a carpet attachement.And carpets can & do hold all kinds of nasty germs etc.
    What Haun did was take thier original unit,and listened to people giving reviews,and made some changes,all for the good.

Not having to use chemicals to clean your home,and removing 99% of germs sounds like a plus to me.