Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

blowing coat?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by pattymaine, Apr 9, 2009.

1. pattymaine

pattymaine Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008
    Maine
    I posted this in another place but I'm not sure it fit there, so I'm trying again...

How long does it take after your pup blows his coat before it grows back in again? My pups are both 2 years old and I didn't even know what "blowing coat" meant until recently--my girl (Bailey) hasn't lost clumps of her fur ever, and Joey, my boy, just started doing it recently. Joey has lost a LOT of fur and I sure hope it comes back soon!

Also, how often does this happen? And if Bailey hasn't blown her coat yet will she later on, or do some shelties blow their coats and others keep theirs year-round?

Thanks in advance,
    Patty

2. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    Hi Patty!

I know that my spayed girl Marlie doesn't ever really blow her coat. She will shed some but not like crazy. Rasha on the other hand will blow her coat twice a year because she is not spayed. When she does that, it takes a good month for her to start looking normal again. I can't wait until I have her spayed, her coat will be great!! My other girl Zoey had a really thick undercoat and she never blew her coat either. She would shed but the only time you would see it is when you brushed her out. Because of the undercoat being so thick, it kept the other fur trapped until you brushed her.

Hope that helps a little! :winkgrin:

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

My two current boys are too young to comment on, but my forever pup, Timber, only had 1 or 2 seasons when he was younger when he blew his coat. After that, he stayed put, until it was brushed out.

I don't know if its genetics or environment that play a factor here. The good news though, is that it does eventually grow back.

With dogs that do blow their coats - it normally happens 1 or 2 times per year. Spring and Fall.

4. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Yes females tend to blow coat twice a year in conjunction with their heat. it usually takes about 6 weeks after losing to grow back again. Males tend to blow coat once to twice a year and it never seems as bad as the females.. Altered shelties blow coat much less!!!!!

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I read somewhere that double-coated dogs will blow their coat around a year old when they are maturing. Callie was 5 and spayed when I got her but my friend's male Aussie who I was babysitting for a month last summer blew his coat bigtime. He's a pretty blue and had a nice coat- pretty sure that he was neutered when she adopted him and he was just around the year mark. I sent her an email and pix so she wouldn't be shocked when she came home and I gave her back this scraggly dog. I also took pix of the piles and piles of fur- almost as big as the actual dog. should have saved it- Chris would have enough fur for her sweater :lol:. He has since grown back a nice coat and looks very handsome. :smile2:

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I also read, that pups will blow their coat after fixing as well - at least females.

Neither of my boys blew their coats, but Ginnie, who I had for only 1 week, had been fixed just a few weeks earlier and she had blown her entire undercoat.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    My desexed female is losing chunks of fur at the moment (just before winter) and I just assumed she was shedding her summer coat for her winter. We are staying at my mothers and she is not happy with the layers of fur being swept up every day. This summer both my dogs lost massive amounts of fur pretty quickly - probably due to the excessive heat. My dogs have always done this though so I thought is was pretty normal.

8. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    I could have sold five pillow cases on my girl, and my boy almost caught her. They shed more in the fall, then the spring. They will be getting their second coat again soon, and I ain't in a hurry for it. :biggrin2:

An outfit is not complete without sheltie hair!

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    :lol:So TRUE!!!

10. crazy's mom

crazy's mom Forums Regular

Oct 9, 2008
    NEW JERSEY
    I am very lucky with the dog I have now. Crazy blew his coat only once at appox 11 months old. What ever comes off him now is in the brush. Now our old dog (who was fixed and female) she was another story. Talk about an outfit with Sheltie hair:eek2: