Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cryptic Blue???

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by enigmaquandry, Oct 5, 2009.

1. enigmaquandry

enigmaquandry Forums Regular

Apr 29, 2009
    When we got Pidge, she was confirmed by two breeders to be a "cryptic blue merle". I have tried to find some answers online but it seems like nobody really knows what this means. Her breeder says that it has to do with the amount of black, some websites say it only shows up in DNA testing...Does anyone know what makes a cryptic blue? Or why they are so rare? Does it have any bearing on her personality or pedigree? Unless it means being extra mischievous then I don't have a clue! Thanks!

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    No coloring does not affect their personality...I looked quick at her picture she reminds me of a blue Merle head wise with the coloring but missing the Merle to make her black that blueish color. Due to reading the below paragraph on cryptic merling it does not really fit her description especially since you wouldn't know if she was cryptic until bred and you end up with either double dilutes or another mixing, thats when you find out its a cryptic, because outwardly you cant see the merling gene. Im not all that good however with the blues since I only do sables...maybe someday i'll branch out!:smile2:

A Sheltie or Collie that carries the Merling gene but has little or no silver in the coat to indicate the presence of the gene. Cryptic Merles are generally Tricolor or Bi-Black in appearance. The presence of the Merle gene is generally not known until the dog is bred, often when bred to a blue or sable merle resulting in a Defective White (see Double Merle). (Sable Merles are cryptic by nature as adults so I have not included them in this description)
    Pictured here is a girl who is bi-black in appearance with a little silver under her chin and some faint marks on her back.

3. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
  4. Aztec

Aztec Forums Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2009
    Ohio
    Cryptic merles will generally not look like merles, sometimes to the point where they have to be tested. Sometimes with australian shepherds they will have merling on their tail - and then when their tail is docked the merling is no longer there for anyone to see.

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    One of girls Edan's breeder had was a cryptic blue merle. The only evidence of the merling was on one of the front legs. She had a beautiful litter of mostly blue merles a little over a year ago before being spay and purchased by a family in Ohio.

6. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    Cryptic blues normally look like Tri's, with sometimes just a tad bit of blue, most commonly on the face. Here is a picture of Belmark Sheltie's cryptic blue.

http://www.belmarkshelties.com/rebel.htm

7. SerenadeSheltie

SerenadeSheltie Forums Novice

Dec 21, 2011
    Vancouver
    Kryptic Blue Shelties

Most people do think that the Kryptic genes only show through DNA tests and breeding, and for some it does. But with most kryptic shelties, there is a sign of merling on some part of the body. Kryptics produce like a normal bi-blue or blue merle sheltie would, but the thing about breeding a dog you aren't sure of being a kryptic is that of the Double Merling. Double Merling can be fatal as it messes with the dogs insides, and can cause the pup to be deaf and/or blind.

8. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Crptic Blue

I know nada about breeading but was having this conversation last week about the cryptic blue and the person told me that they are really tri's.So are they considered Blue Merle's or Tri's?

9. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    huh? That's just silliness. :wink2: They may look like tricolors or sables, but they breed like merles (have the merle gene) and usually have at least some small patch of merlling in the coat. They should be registered as merles, too - because that's what they are.

10. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    A cryptic blue is a blue merle that unfortunately could pass for a tri....that's the danger with the genetics. Its the same reason that many shy away from the sable merles...most pass as sables once grown and it "hides" the merle gene. There is the same responsibility one has with ANY dog that carries the merle gene: know your genetics and understand the risks with allowing a dog with a merle gene to breed. Mating a merle to a merle (any merle, whether cyptic, sable, blue, double, or bi-blue) has at least a 50% risk of producing a double merle pup....mating a double merle to a merle carries a 75% risk.

Now, breeding genetics responsibility aside; there is nothing "wrong" with a sable merle or cryptic merle dog. They can be just as sound, beautiful, healthy, athletic, and well proportioned as any other sheltie. There are plenty of champion sable merles and some champion cryptic merles. Now I'm starting to sound like a line from "all dogs go to heaven"; but really the beauty and joy of a sheltie is in their loyalty, compassion, and love and not the color and shape.