Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Perfect sheltie harness

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by ruckusluvr, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ruckusluvr

ruckusluvr Forums Enthusiast

the traffic lead is basically a little handle sort of thing that is close to the harness (16 inches from the harness maybe?)
    it is there for you to be able to have your dog close to you in traffic, or any other situation you need your dog close by.

here is a pic. the traffic lead is next to the dogs back leg. its a little loop like thing. however mine seems close to the harness than that one.
    http://www.ubraidit.com/supplies-detail.php?item=115

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. terdonal

terdonal Forums Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2008
    Maple Ridge. BC
    Ah, I see. I didn't notice it in the pics before. Not sure why you would need as I would think shorting the leash in my hand as I do now would work as well. You would have to bend down or over to use that on our dogs I would think. I would just tie it to the leash with a zip tie or something to keep it from dangling.:biggrin2:

Thanks for the feedback.:winkgrin:

Terry

3. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I didn't get mine in today, either! I want it I want it I want it I want it! :cry::biggrin2:

4. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Hi people who have ordered this harness -

I'm thinking of getting it for Buffy, because the cheap nylon one we got from Petsmart is causing some irritation on her skin. I like that it's lightweight and adjustable, but I'm curious about whether it works on long-haired dogs (it seems bulky harnesses might not work with Sheltie hair). And I hope it would solve the irritation issue, but I'm not sure.

The other option is a padded one, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Soft-Harness-Mesh-Medium/dp/B0013N183G

Do you think this harness or a padded one would work better for a Sheltie? Buffy's 5 months old and has a pretty full coat already.

I do want to get a martingale collar eventually, but for now she's a scaredy-cat in the city, and I feel more secure having her in a harness.

I'd appreciate hearing from you! Thanks.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I'm struggling with the harness for a Sheltie....

I can certainly see the need for a martingale....the shape of their necks and heads leads them to easily slip their collars, but a harness?

You can get adjustable martingales....you do not need to wait until pup is grown up before you get a martingale. I used inexpensive Petsmart versions until I was ready to order custom for my boys. And even that, was just a personal choice. The martingale is ideal in those situations where everything is normal, then something suddenly spooks them! Especially ideal for Shelties because of their ruff - it sits loose on their necks, until you need it to grab hold to.

I can't imagine why there would be need for a harness on a Sheltie. I would be focussing instead on teaching pup not to pull on the lead while walking.

Sorry for speaking out here. I'm just not a fan. :no:

6. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I still have not tried my harness. :uhoh:

Harnesses and collars both have their place. :yes: I've never tried one of the collars mentioned. I would like to have one though. The thought of a harness just makes me feel safer. I've heard those types of collars are hard to slip out of. I've got an escape artist. There's nothing that can hold him back - he's cleared a baby gate before, squeezes through spaces that NO dog could possibly squeeze through, and has speed that would rival a top agility champion. When I get my collar I'm going to test it in a safe place before venturing out with it to make sure it really will prevent an escape!

I also feel that a harness will not choke the dog so much. I want to try both.

7. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    A word of caution, even with harnesses

The very best escape artists may still be able to wriggle out of a harness. While my neighbor's sheltie was out walking she got spooked, put on the brakes, wriggled her shoulders, and backed out of her harness. It happened not only once, but twice, even after the harness had been tightened down. In my opinion, the harness had to be so tight on this dog that I believe she would be better off in a martingale.

So don't get complacent with a harness....

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I agree Katherine. And I can see how this could easily happen with a sheltie. Even at Trapps young age,in our times of walking,I see how they suddenly stop & balk.If he had a regular collar or an ill fitting harness,he would have gotton out.

I am using a martingale leash /collar combo on is right now. He does have a regular martingale,but has not grown enough to wear it on walks yet.

I do use a harness on Earnhardt,only because he is front & top heavy,he has the strength of I don't know what. If I did not have a harness on him,he would choke himself while walking. He's much better behaved in a harness,as he does'nt pull.
    Where as a harness on some dogs,would make them pull even more.I have better control on him.

9. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much for your comments, Jessica, Katherine, and Michele!

I want a harness for Buffy because we live in a city and the area around the train (the one that is 15 ft away from our front door) is still scaring her out a lot. Also, she gets scared on certain streets. If she gets scared, she'll try to run away as fast and as hard as possible, and she totally ignores the leash pressure.

The thing that really convinced me of the harness was one day at the bus stop... I was holding her and she sprang out of my arms without any warning because a bus came by. If she had a collar instead of a harness, she could have choked or really been hurt.

She does heel very well 95% of the time. She's very good at watch, and we do training on walks. It's just that unexpected 5% that it's good to be safe.

I am working with her on it; however, it is a process. (She's much better around busses, trucks, and flags now.) I do not want her to be choked when she's already so scared. Also, I think she's doing fine with a harness and I don't see a need to change right now. It's not like I'm using a prong collar or something.

Maybe I will try that rope harness. I'm thinking a thinner one is the way to go. Puppies are easy to spend money on... :)

10. ruckusluvr

ruckusluvr Forums Enthusiast

umm, i think there has been some confusion.

a sheltie can slip out of the rope n go, as well as any other harness

Why I think it is perfect is not because they cannot slip it.
    its because it is thin, light weight, durable, and doesnt break into the coat. there are no buckles to get fur caught in either. If you have a flighty sheltie i would always recommend a martingale.

this is not a no pull harness. if your dog pulls a harness is not recommended. it usually only makes the pulling more comfortable and so the dog will pull you even more.

I have used martingales for years, and I will never use another. One reason is that my dogs are no longer flighty!
    and all the martingales I have ever tried got the fur caught in it and was very hard to get on and off the dog. I also didnt like it putting pressure around there necks. and if you are like me and normally hike, backpack, jog, walk for hours... the martingale breaks their fur. Also, most martingales are about an inch wide, and thats alot of fur to be rubbing off.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009