Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Oh no,trimming sheltie ears...

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by mellie, May 12, 2012.

1. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Oh those sheltie ears...gave Sally a bath today and did some grooming,and tried to trim her ears. I had been letting them grow a little shaggy because her ears are a little low set. I did not glue or tape her ears when she was a pup. She was a rescue and extremly shy even at 4 months. We focused on other issues more and I knew we would not be doing any confirmation or anything such as that.Her ears don't look bad, but I'm just not sure what would be the most becoming trim for her .:uhoh:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    some pix would be good for our resident experts to offer advice:winkgrin:

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    If her ears are low set than you want to get the weight of the fur off them to "pop" them back up a bit...granted it wont be significant but will help a bit...Now if you have high set ears you want to keep the fur on them more to help weigh them down...

Everyone here get a different ear trim custom tailored to their situation:wink2: The only two are are remotely close are Mia and her son Tucker.

4. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    :hideiI am ashamed to admit that I am not sure how to submit pics

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    You can upload photos to a free websharing site, like shutterfly or photobucket, and then post the link, or else become a premium member and post.

6. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    I will become a Premium member ,but I will do this tomorrow as a Mother's Day gift to myself.:winkgrin:

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

My Bacca has low set ears (also called "hound dog"!)

I tried to find a picture of his ears after I groomed them but apparently I only have pictures of his ears at the worst.

So I'm attaching a picture of Bacca at about his worst. This picture also has Indy with his "almost perfect"prick ears, but also at their worst, but it allows you to see the difference between both types of ears.

Generally with low set ears:

1) Trim the edges of the ears as you would with any other Sheltie
    2) You want to lighten the load of the front part of the ear. So, bend the ear over at the break. Using a thinning shear, carefuly trim back the fur at the front/top part of the break
    3) You do not want to trim the hair behind the break too much. Leave it on the long-side, but you do want to shape it so its not ragged.
    4) In the inside of the ear, you want to create the illusion of space, so you do want to trim inside the ear a little more aggressively. You don't want it to be bald, but you do want to see a little bit of the ear canal.

If you need more detailed instructions, let me know. Both my dogs are in need of feet and ear grooming, so it would be a good time for me to document the step by step.

Attached Files:

8. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    :gaah Ok, so i had a ittle problem with my laptop screen not coming on for SOME REASON, then today when i went to download pics form my camera and my batteries are DEAD , so i don't have any current pics of the ear trimmin', but can show you what her ear situation is...http://pumpkishutterfly.com

9. biowicks

biowicks Forums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2012
    Michigan
    I can't get this link to work FYI

10. maddiesmom

maddiesmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011
    port orchard wa
    Yes please. Instructions would be great. It looks like MacGreggor is going to have hound dog ears and I have never attempted to trim the girls ears. I would like to learn to do it right since I seem to have started off wrong with Mack by bringing him home too soon and putting a harness on him. Thanks in advance for the trimming advise.

Sherri and Clay
    Miss Maddie, Miss Saddie
    MacGreggor
    Our Forever Girl Miss Ellie