Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Napolean or wildman

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by SheepOfBlue, Apr 11, 2012.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    So Spitfire has an interesting habit in the morning. Once out and his cookie is eaten I go to shut the door so I can go to work. About 70% of the time he jumps on the screen door and barks a protest bark then pretty much 100% of the time he turns and runs full tilt somewhere in the yard. Not always in the same direction but always 100%.

So is this a strange zoomies or him asserting his mastery of the yard?

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    This is a huge issue I had with Bailey when I lived in a house.

She would lunge at the sliding door whenever I closed it behind her.

She mostly did this when she was waiting at the door to come in, I'd open the door and she'd just stand there, so I'd close it and then she'd jump and bark at the door.

3. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Megan did and still does lunge at the back door especially when we are leaving!

:eek2:

4. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Actually the door part is not the weird part.

For instance this morning I close the door and he did not turn and jump on it the give the protest bark. But he did turn and head to the back corner running as fast as he could only to stop. Sometimes he just does a loop around the trailer but always at 100%. He kind of pauses like OK the door is closed.... then goes on a nutter :lol:

I figure he is doing his king of the yard run.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I remember that my first sheltie Aimee did this. We would let her out and she would bark once, then go down the stairs, and run all the way around the house (we had a big house). We said she was chasing off rhinoceros--and was quite good at it! :lol:

6. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    You leave your Sheltie unattended all day in the yard? Aren't you afraid that he'll either eat something that could make him sick or worse yet, disappear (get stolen)?

7. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Stealing someones dog in the south is a hanging offense :eek2: I have always done so. Dow spent 15 years as an in/out guy and Sca two. On real hot days Sca does get to stay in as he behaves (mostly), Spitfire would be in the crate. I have an older couple across the street that watches them play all day.