Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dry skin

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by expoz3d, Jan 16, 2010.

1. expoz3d

expoz3d Forums Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2009
    Troy, AL
    So I recently got a puppy that was infected with ringworm (a very bad case of ringworm I might add) and she is just now starting to get better. We give her a bath with a vet medicated shampoo every 3 days. My sheltie unfortunatley got a very slight case of ringworm that is pretty much gone now (we used ointment to cure it). Ever since we got the ringworm shampoo for the puppy though I have been using it once a week on my sheltie as a precautionary step to try and prevent any further infection. She has probably had 3 baths and now she is starting to get a little flaky (dry skin I am guessing). I read that a lot of dogs have a special oil on there skin and giving them to many baths gets rid of this important oil. Anyways I asked the groomers at petsmart what I can do to help her skin out and they gave me a hydrosurge dermasilk pronourish conditioner to use on her. Has anyone ever used this product? Also I forgot to ask a very important question and that is: Do I use this conditioner inbetween the precautionary ringworm bath, right before the bath, or right after the bath like people conditioner?

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Not sure about your specific questions....but I was wondering if maybe something with tea tree oil in it may help. Tea tree oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties...is soothing and helps with dry skin.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

3. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Does'nt CC products carry something that could be helpful? Ringworm is no fun,my girlfiend in NY had a long haired cat,that had it,and she got it also.

It maybe something to look into Chris Christenson products,on Cherrybrook site,or even PetEdge's site.
    Tea Tree oil comes to mind,as it is said it works well for dry skin issues.May-be adding fish oil to the diet.

4. expoz3d

Oct 8, 2009
    Troy, AL
    Yes the guy also said adding supplements like fishoil to the food or water. I didnt know if that actually did anything though :rolleyes2: . Shows how much I know.

5. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Fish oil certainly won't hurt,but actually now that I think of it,maybe you should try Vibrant Pets~
    I would call and talk to Lee,and he would tell you which formula would bebest. I'm thinking skin & coat formula.

I had major transformation here with our lab,with shedding,at the time Earnhardt was put on it,he had 2 quater size areas,on his hind legs that he literally chewed down to raw skin.(allergy & turned into a compulsive chewing issue)

With in 2 weeks,he had stopped chewing,and the hair was growing back,and the shedding virtually stopped.Good Luck~

www.vibrantpets.com

6. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I used to put BioSilk on Foxy's coat to help with static and dry skin in the winter. She loved it -- full body massage.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Lexi has dry skin too. I thought about using supplements or some sort of shampoo, but I really didn't want to use any supplements because she's so young, and also I wasn't sure if giving her a bath would be counterproductive.

I'm hoping that once it warms up and the (horrible) humidity comes back that it will clear up.

8. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I've never delt with ringworm, but Vibrant Pets is an excellent supplement to add to your dog's diet. One jar will last you FOREVER. When Smudge was having problems with his mange Ann and Chris suggested I use the Show Dog forumla. I honestly believe it kept Smudge from going blind.

Smudge also had a hot spot from having too many mange dips. It took MONTHS for it heal up, but it did eventually heal, and the fur has since grown back.

This is probably common sense, but after you get through with your ringworm medicine and your dogs are fully healed I'd lay off baths for a few months.

9. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina

I'm sure your using something from your vet for the ringworm.And glad it is working. In my girlfirends cat,it did not work,so I mentioned to her about what I knew about using Listerine & hydrocortisone.
    I read about in on a Cat & Kitten gorup I belong to on Yahoo. Laurie tried it,and it cleared her ringworm up,and it also worked for Abbey.It did take longer for the cat to heal,than it did her.

10. expoz3d

Oct 8, 2009
    Troy, AL
    Wow I am def going to look into the vibrantpets thing. And yes I am holding off on baths after this for a loooong time. Its such a pain. Also the vet first gave us a topical cream that did nothing for us but allow the ringworm to spread. Now we use a miconazole shampoo, some amber topical liquid stuff that smells really strong and to me feels like the only thing that really works, and we also give the puppy an antifungal pill smashed up and iluted with water that we shoot down her throat because 1 pill is like 20 doses.