Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Agility Trial - Edan at WCOTC in Latrobe, PA

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Silaria, May 15, 2011.

1. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    VERY quick post because I can't wait until tomorrow to share this news: Edan earned is OA this weekend at the Westmoreland County Obedience Training Club trial!

Details (including the good, the bad and the ugly) plus video coming tomorrow. The videos (5 - 2 STD, 2 JWW, 1 FAST) are actually uploaded currently for those subscribe to my YouTube feed; I just don't have time to write up the detailed post to go with the videos.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    HOORAY!!!!! I can't wait to see the write ups. I will save the videos until then :yes: Congratulations all around!

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Way to go! I can't wait to see the video.:smile2:

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    The Details and Videos

As promised, here are the details and videos for our trial this past weekend:

About The Site
    I don't normally talk specifically about a trial site but I need to make an exception here.

The Westmoreland County Obedience Training Club (WCOTC) trial was the first trial held at a new facility in Latrobe, PA built specifically for dog agility. This site has been the talk in the Pittsburgh region agility community for the past two years. The building is still not 100% complete but what isn't finished doesn't prevent them from hosting trials. What they still need to add is their storage closet, coin-op doggie wash, an office, conference rooms, and an on site restaurant/bar.

Two 100 x 100 indoor rings plus crating space and air conditioning. The flooring is sports turf equivalent to what some professional and collegiate teams use. It is FANTASTIC to run on. They've already been approached by the local school district, colleges and even the Steelers about using the facility.

All the equipment is brand new and, of course, fully rubberized contacts and 24 inch weave poles.

There are two large fields for the dogs to take care of their business in.

OK, enough about the nice new site; on to the runs themselves. Let's start with ...

The Ugly - Saturday Open JWW

OK, let's just get this one out of they way.

Result: NQ
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyIHhkKxIU

Basically, while Edan was in the weaves (obstacle 4) I was attempting to move away to get on the other side of a jump (obstacle 5) before he finished the poles. Well, I ended up making him pop at the 10th pole. (Need to continue to proof that independent weave performance. He usually does it so nicely in training.)

When I went to run back to the beginning, Edan back-weaved all 12 poles. :no: I read this as an off course since he did the weaves correctly the wrong way and pretty much gave up on my run at that point though I did finish it out. :eek:

I sent him through the correct way, which he completed beautifully. Later on in the run, he went in the wrong end of a tunnel (again my fault but, like I said, I was thinking we already had enough faults to NQ us) then back jumped a jump.

If I had to pick a positive out of the entire run, it would be the nice lead out we were able to do. I don't use lead outs often, not because we can't do them but because Edan prefers to run with me.

One other point of interested - Only 1 dog in the entire Open class (Regular and Preferred) Q'd.

OK, enough of that ugly run. Let's move on to the better runs.

The Bad - Sunday Open JWW

Result: NQ
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunItCBSrMc

Saying this run was "bad" is a bit misleading. This run really wasn't bad, beyond the NQ and missing the OJA title for the 2nd time this weekend. We NQ'd because Edan knocked the top bar on the triple. (This is the first time he's EVER knocked a bar in trial.) I also would have liked to see him turn a little tighter.

The course itself was actually quite fun to run. There were a LOT of pinwheel configurations. The series down the near side of the video was actually a serpentine of pinwheels.

This is why I said calling it "bad" really isn't fair to either Edan or I. We actually worked this course very well. We had the 3rd fasted time in class. (I think it was 3rd; it may have been 2nd. I have a picture of the score sheet at home with that information.)

So, I get to run for my OAJ at the TRSSCGP trial in June. This is OK with me since Edan's breeder will be there and will hopefully get to see us earn the title.

The Good - Saturday Novice B FAST; Saturday & Sunday Open STD

Saturday - Novice B Fast
    Result: Q & 1st Place
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9GOrpvwNjU (Note the pretty bi-blue Sheltie in the lower left corner right at the beginning of the video. Goose was an absolute sweetheart. I ran either right before or right after him most of the weekend.)

This was our first time in FAST. The distance challenge was an 8 foot send to the far tunnel entrance then 6 weaves at a 5 foot lateral. My biggest concern with this challenge was giving Edan a good approach so he'd hit the correct tunnel entrance. Forward momentum and a "go" command help but setting a good approach line really improves your chance of success.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what sent Edan running off to take the tire a second time toward the end of our run. If it wasn't for that detour, we'd have been under time for the course.

We were one of only 2 teams to Q. We managed to score 67 points and lost 1 point for begin just over a second late on crossing the finish.

Saturday - Open STD
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_q3336zno

This run is easily the best run of my weekend. The entire run from start to finish just felt so right; so perfect. Edan had some very nice tight 180's. I never felt out of position. We just moved in wonderfully perfect harmony.

I wish more runs felt this good.

Sunday - Open STD
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtnC5ha1IQ

Unlike Saturday's run, this one didn't feel as harmonious but it was a beautifully clean run AND the fastest time by 8 seconds over other dogs in class.

More importantly - we earned our Open Standard title! I looked back at my records; it only took us 5 Open runs to complete the title.

I did email the Trail Secretary to move up Edan to ExA Std for TRSSCGP trial so I'm just waiting on confirmation back on that. I have no idea if he'll make time in ExA but we're going to give it a try.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Edan

You guys looked great!!!Congrats on your title!!You should make time in Ex.A as they give you a time fault.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Sherri, congratulations again!

Edan looked great. Even in the videos that you considered "bad" or "ugly" I feel like his mistakes were actually good ones. He looks so different from what I remember when you first started. He is moving much faster, and looks ten times more confident. He is working confidently away from you (and at great distances!) and ahead of you. You should be very proud.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Thanks, Sharon.

I remember you mentioning the time fault, 5 seconds I believe, in Ex.A. It's my personal goal to try to Q in Ex.A without the time fault. I don't want to use time faults as a crutch since in Ex.B you don't have that luxury.

Thanks!

As I mentioned on the run I labeled "bad", that really isn't a fair label for either Edan or I because there is a LOT of good in that video - more than one dropped bar. The "bad" label just fit with the "Good/Bad/Ugly" theme.

The "ugly", that was mostly my handling errors and most of those happened because I gave up - which is the true "ugly" in that run. Never give up on your dog no matter how bad things are. It's only a game and I forgot that for a few minutes.

Agreed! He is much more confident, and so am I. My YouTube feed has every agility video posted from when I started running. If you look at my CPE trial videos from June 2 years ago to now the improvement is obvious. Even from June of last year through today there is marked improvement.

The things I want to work on now:
    - Continue to proof my contacts
    - Continue to work toward independent weave performance
    - Improve my handling to more consistently communicate when I need him to collect on jumps

8. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Edan

You will be running under Erin my instructor.I wanted to do that trial if she was driving to Pa. but she is flying.

9. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I noticed that Erin was judging the Saturday FAST runs. It will be nice to meet her.

I actually get to run under all three judges on Saturday: Erin for FAST, Sherry Jefferson for Open JWW, and Kim Reeher for Ex Standard.

I'm really trying to find a way to be there on Sunday (currently only registered for Saturday). If I'm there Sunday then I'll run under Erin for Ex Standard.

10. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Edan

I think this was the trial she was suppose to judge last year but she sprained her ankle very badly and ended up having surgery.