Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need Help - How do I Potty Train?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Barb, May 8, 2008.

1. Barb

Barb Forums Novice

May 8, 2008
    Bloomington, IL
    Yesterday we got a 6 week old Sheltie.

We would take her outside onto the grass to potty but she prefers the carpet.

Looking at previous posts I see "puppy pads." Are they something that would help w/the training? Could someone advise how to potty train? I've been taking her out but she'd rather play outside.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Hi, Barb! First of all, six weeks is so very young -- most Shelties aren't separated from their mothers until 8 weeks at the earliest -- my breeder keeps her pups for nine weeks. Right now, you have an immature baby who really isn't ready to potty train for another three weeks. But take heart -- there's hope. :biggrin2:

I would agree that puppy pads would be a good idea for three-four weeks, both in her crate and in a convenient spot in the house. You and your floors deserve that much! But after that time, stop using them. (By the way, I hope you have a crate in your bedroom for night. Puppies bond to you by breathing in your scent all night. Yes, she may whimper to go out at 2 am, but she'll be able to sleep through by 9-10 weeks or so. My Layla came to me at 8.5 weeks, and she slept from 9 pm to about 5:30 am.)

You probably do this already, but take your baby out every 2 hours. Take her on her leash to the same spot every time. As she romps, you stay in the same spot. Repeat, "Hurry up, Hurry up" in a calm, gentle tone. The idea is to condition her to associate those words with piddling. You can use "Go potty" or anything else, but be sure you always use the same words. Don't issue it as a command, but in a pleasant voice. Try not to get frustrated with her. If nothing happens after 15 minutes, bring her back in. For a few weeks, there will probably be accidents. Remember, she's really not ready to potty train yet; you're just starting to build the right habits.

And when she does go outside, make sure you praise her in a big way! :yes:

I strongly recommend the book The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete. You can get it on Amazon for as little as $3.00. It's the best guide I know. We've raised three according to the Monks, and people are always remarking on what calm, gentle "perfect" Shelties they are.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...r_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210266824&sr=8-1

Best wishes on your little darling!

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. graydawntreader

graydawntreader Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
    St. Marys, GA
    Good luck

I have to agree with that. Good breeders don't sell them that young. I was so mad at my uncle when he sold one of his German Shepherd's puppies at the age of only 6 1/2 weeks old.:eek2:
    Back on topic. I agree with the way that Chris suggested. I like to use that way too. I have found the crate to be very useful since we first got it.
    Good luck!

4. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Potty pads for now !!

I agree with Chris and Greydawntreader, This pup is much too young to even attempt potty training. It shouldn't even be away from Mom yet.:( Right now I would concentrate on keeping her in a confined area with potty pads.:yes: Then when the pup is 9-10 weeks old start with the every 2 hour routine and bringing that potty pad closer to the door as the pup gets closer in no time that will be success along with tons of praise and snacks for job well done.:biggrin2: Good luck and lots of Sheltie hugs and kisses to the wee one.:lol:

5. Uh-Oh Oreo

Uh-Oh Oreo Forums Regular

Apr 28, 2008
    Same boat

I'm finding out that I'm clueless about potty training as well. My guy just isn't getting it. I have the potty pads and he just chews them up or drags them around the house, hasn't peed on one yet. Newspaper gets shredded so that's out. We got him at 9.5 weeks and he's just about 14 weeks now. I take him out all the time..more often than 2 hours because it seems like 20-45 minutes or so after I bring him in, he will pee. I also take him out 15 minutes or so after he drinks something. I catch him in the act all the time and take him out when I do. I'm not mean to him, I just sternly say no, act disgusted and take him out. If I can't keep my eyes on him in the house, I put him in his crate because he pees if I don't and then I find it later.

I have been using Nature's Miracle to clean up his accidents and I have the black light that I use once a week at night to find any pee that I didn't catch. Seems that there is A LOT. I'm doing this to try to get his scent out so he doesn't continue to think my carpet is his bathroom.

Another issue I have is that he eats his poop. It grosses me out. Right after he goes, he turns around really fast and grabs it. I don't even have time to praise him for going poop outside because I have to pull him away from it. I got some 'Forbid' from the vet yesterday that is supposed to make the poop less appealing to him so we'll see if that works.

This is my second sheltie. My first was a breeze to potty train. I'm wondering if this one has a lot more male hormones than my last one even at this age. I have no idea. This guy humps our arms and legs...has done this since 9.5 weeks when we got him. He chews EVERYTHING. He is also a major crier. He doesn't cry at night, but if he's slightly injured he acts like he's mortally wounded. He freaks out and cries when he gets shots or his temperature taken at the vet. He also, for some odd reason, cries and howls when I say good boy after the, sit, lay down and roll over sequence. I know he's not hurt. He's just excited that I'm excited that he did it....but it sounds like he's really hurt...then he howls. He's way smart. He sits, speaks, lays down, shakes, rolls over...pretty much, he's not quite there with that one yet...and he plays fetch, although he likes to tease me and tries to get me to chase and play tug a war when he brings the item back to me sometimes. 'Come' and 'stay' are our problem areas so far.

OOPS, went off track there....back to the potty training. The vet said you have to catch them in the act every time and some of his clients use a leash attached to their belt loops so that the dog is always in sight inside the house. I'm thinking about trying that but I feel like the poor guy wont get much exercise inside the house that way. I don't know what else to do though. He pees SO much!

Any idea about how long potty training should take, in general? Or are there just some that take a lot longer to learn? Am I doing something wrong? I just don't understand how such a smart dog isn't getting the message that the house is not the place for pee!

6. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    I suggest you follow Chris's suggestion and get the book.:yes: Pups vary in willingness to comply sometimes. I had one dog that I fostered that was at least 2 months of time to get the little one to come around.
    As far as his whimpering he is just a pup.:winkgrin: Just like babies some cry over nothing others take it without any cry or bother. Same goes for puppies.:uhoh:

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Another Suggestion

Not to contradict Chris and the monks, but there are a number of excellent books that offer help in everything puppy-related from potty training to handling. One I particiularly like is Puppies for Dummies and Housetraining for Dummies, both available on Amazon. (Remember to access Amazon through Sheltie Nation so we get credit! There's a link on the right hand lower side of the home page.) My vet lends these books out; they are so good.

Very young puppies don't even develop control until four to five months, so although you can "train" it's tough for them to hold it until they're a bit more mature. Be patient!

I've always found the crate training method to be best, but our female Ivy took six months to housebreak which was a record, even with the crate. Just be consistent and remember positive training works best! Good luck.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    There sure are, Ann. You have to find what works for you. Consistency is the key. :winkgrin:

9. drunkmike

drunkmike Forums Regular

May 14, 2008
    I paper trained my pup for quite a while because I lived in an area that was not "dog friendly". I recently moved and of course it was a bit hard at first to get her to go, but after she got the hang of it being ok for her to go potty outside, I have not had an accident since. Basically it was a nice warm day out and we were outside all day long grilling with my family and what not. It got to the point were she just could not hold it any longer and did what she had to do. She immediately ran into a corner and cowered like she did something bad but since I saw her do it I ran over and praised her over and over again. After she did the initial "marking" she has gone outside every time. My neighbor who also had his pup trained to pads had to take a soiled pad to a place in the yard where he wanted his pup to go and staked it into the ground. The rain eventually wore it away and his pup has gone in that spot ever since. Hope it helps!

10. Joey's Mom

Joey's Mom Forums Novice

Jun 27, 2008
    Hi! I am new to this forum, and just browsed through and saw your post. I don't like to brag, but I AM known as the "housebreaking queen"! If you are interested in my methods ( and I have NEVER had a pup or dog not housebreak if my method's were followed EXACTLY) you can feel free to P.M. me your e-mail address and I will be happy to share my methods with you. The instructions are quite long, so it would be best to e-mail them to you. I have to warn you, it requires dedication and dicipline on your part but I promise it WILL work!
    Mindy ( a.k.a. Joey's Mom)