Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Senstive Stomach food

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by jesshall, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jesshall

jesshall Forums Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Agawam, MA
    Does anyone know of a food that's good for senstive stomachs? With no corn.

2. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    Wellness has a limited ingredient food made for sensitive stomachs.

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Wellness Simple.

It's a limited ingredient food (1 protein and 1 grain). I use the Salmon and Brown Rice formula but they also make a Duck formula and Lamb formula.

Blue Buffalo also makes a limited ingredient food, Blue Basics.

There is also Go brand food. Their sensitive stomach formulas are Salmon and Oatmeal and there is also one with Duck. I'm actually going to switch from Wellness Simple to Go because I like the fact that it's from Canada and there are no antibiotics in the meat sources.

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I believe Nature's Variety also has a limited ingredient food. I think it has one protein. Not sure if it's grain-free or not, but I know they wouldn't have corn.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I know of several.

What is the exact problem that your facing? What food are you feeding currently?

I'm loathe to spout out foods without some better idea as the problem itself.

6. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    yes what are you feeding currently? What are the issues you are having? Have you tried limiting treats as well, since most of those can cause problems as well.

7. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    There are a number of good limited ingredient foods on the market now. Wellness Simple, Blue Basics (Blue Buffalo), Go, as others have mentioned. Acana is one of my favorite brands and has two new limited ingredient foods as well.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

I don't know what your dog's issue is, but often just switching to a grain free food can be helpful. Wellness, Acana, Orijen and Now are all grain free or have grain free varieties. Again, Acana and Orijen are two of my favorites, but that's just me. :smile2:

8. jesshall

jesshall Forums Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Agawam, MA
    Thank you all for your repsonses. This is actually for my Westie he's been having some stomach issues since Feb. In Feb he was vomiting blood and had bloody diaherra my husband took him to the vet and he was put on fluids right away and then tested for everything at the end of the day the vet said we had to take him to an emergency vet b/c he had lost so much blood he might need a transfusion and he need to be monitored over night. He did well overnight we brought him home with a diagnosis of HGE (Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) and the vet gave us antibiotics and probiotics to give him and to feed him a bland diet and work his food slowly back in. We did this and all went fine until April 6th he started again with the vomiting and diaherra we were able to get him to the vet much sooner and we were able to bring him home that night with the same diagnosis and the same treatment. He has been getting better we have ruled out everything he's had x-rays both visits he had barium x-rays he has had full blood panels done and we ruled out Cushings and Addisons disease. I think it maybe IBD and I am looking to switch his food. I am having my breeder's vet look over his records to see if they can figure something else out. Right now I feed Fromm (Adult Gold) to both my westie and sheltie and the sheltie has had no issues. The westie breeder has said she knows westies have sensitive stomachs and she would try to find a sensitive somtach diet. Not sure where to start but he is allergic to corn so that's why I asked for no corn. He also is very picky and will not eat anything with salmon in it. Thanks again for your help.

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    So sorry to hear that you and your Westie have been through so much!

Given his history, I'm not sure that any of us on the forums are qualified to give food recommendations. At this point you might be better going with whatever your vet recommends.

My dogs personally go crazy for Acana, they act like I feed them cookies for dinner. I often feed it to them as treats, they never seem to know the difference. They've never acted this way with any other foods.

I use grain free but you could try the limited ingredient ones. Neither one has fish or corn. I'd recommend Duck and Bartlett Pear. It has limited ingredients and the protein source should be completely new, which can help rule out a food sensitivity. It lists whole oats as a grain source.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/show-product-new.php?sku=dbp

10. jesshall

jesshall Forums Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Agawam, MA

Well my vet doesn't have any recommendations other than keeping him on probitotics I kind of hate my vet but we are new to the area and we have not had any problems like this with him until recently. It is hard to find a vet when you are new to an area and you don't know anyone to ask for suggestions. I have been very unstatisfied with this vet thus far. This has happened twice in two months and they don't seem to have any answers or care to find any. We have already spent over 2,000 dollars on these two episodes and we would just like to find something to try to make sure the poor dog doesn't go through this again. It's life threatening I know that and I do take him to the vet they just suck. The onset is so sudden it's not like he has soft stool then the bloody diaherra it's just boom bloody vomit and then the diaherra starts.