Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can a Dog's Leg "go to sleep?"

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Lahree, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    Ellie was lying on her side on the recliner for quite some time and then her stomach "dinner alarm" went off. When she tried to get up, she acted as of her back right leg (the side she was sleeping on) did not work at all. She couldn't support herself and was walking completely wonky on it. She did not hop on it or lift it like I have seen dogs do when their leg is hurt or they are in pain. She walked on it like it was weak and it was sort of dragging it and it was rotating at a weird angle. It scared me to death until I thought that maybe her leg went to sleep? Does this happen to dogs? It seems like it could. I have never seen this before. Eventually she walked correctly on it, but it was still scary .

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    This happened to Bentley once. It was very bizarre. I was really worried, and then it went back to normal. I'd just keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't recur.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Chloe will do that to herself once in a while.

4. Boos-dad

Boos-dad Forums Regular

Dec 17, 2011
    Missouri
    I would imagine this can happen. Your arm or leg go to sleep because the blood flow is cut off. So why not with a dog. Boo has trouble getting up sometimes but it's because he's fat..fat boy!:lol:

5. Abby's Dad

Abby's Dad Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    I was told this does not happen to dogs. When Abby first injured herself this is what she did - limp on front legs - several steps - just like it was sleeping. However, the issue was in the rear.

6. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    Really? Ellie still has occassionaly bouts where her leg shakes when she puts weight on it and sometimes she hops on it when she runs, so I know it must hurt for some reason. Other times she walks/runs on it fine. :confused2: It is her right back leg. It seems like every time she has trouble with it, it is after she has lain on that side. I am stumped.