Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training the act of tossing a toy in the air

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by romeosangiovese, Mar 29, 2012.

1. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    I'm trying to train Romeo and Juliet to toss toys into the air, which I'd then like to generalize to tossing other things, as a cute trick.

I tried it with a small soft toy (size of my palm). I've got no problem getting them to pick up the toy and also throwing it at me, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to lift their head and throw it upwards. :gaah

Does anyone have any idea? Is there anything I can do or use to try and increase the chances of them actually doing that behaviour?

It's not really a behaviour that can be lured I'd think and they don't do it on their own ever with any toy so I can't capture the behaviour either. I know I'll have to shape it but if there's anything I can do to speed it up a little or just get that head up movement, that might help!

2. Aearoniel

Aearoniel Forums Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    o
    Could you try training separately a "nodding" movement which you could then combine with the throwing the toy?

Try targeting so that they have to throw their heads up and back to touch the target to start off and go from there...

3. romeosangiovese

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    OH!! That's an excellent idea!! Thanks Aearoniel! I didn't think to break the behaviour down further and using targeting. Can't wait to get home from work today to try that out!! :winkgrin:

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have no idea how to teach it but I would really like to teach Diva to stop it.

She always flips her toys at me especially the ball and now she is doing it with the utility gloves. Sigh.:( Hold it is obviously not generalized.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Was wondering how it is progressing? Any clips?
    I am sorry can't help you with tossing up a toy shaping, have not taught my pups to do it yet. Am thinking can you do "toy in the mouth" targeting and slowly lift target higher?
    I do share your love for shaping, love love love shaping with my dogs, the antics I get from them just hilarious.
    I am not sure where you were in recallers but recallers are drive testing self directed Shaping course from SG now, which should be avail to public later on.
    Here is my new inspiration video clip coming from advanced trick class at ST, something to get new ideas from.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qm_7_k-do&feature=player_embedded#!

6. romeosangiovese

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    I am using a target stick placed at the edge of a stack of boxes (for height) and getting them to nose that. It's getting me a nice head up movement!

I'm just fading the stick (there are so many things to train so I don't train it everyday hence the slow progress!). Once I get an independent head up movement, I'll see if I can get them to hold the toy and maybe hold the stick over their head again just to help them out initially. Then I'll shape the rest (actual tossing and letting go of the toy).

I must remember to set up the vid cam! :lol:

I read that SG is coming out with the Shaping course soon! I was part of her recallers but not part of the group that is testing the class. I can't wait to see what that course is all about!

OMG what a great clip!! As if there isn't already enough to train! LOL! I'm still struggling to get Romeo and Juliet to sit up! :lol:

I have all of ST's videos and have been toying with the idea of joining her trick classes for the longest time. Are they worth it? Or can I just figure out the tricks from the videos on my own somehow? (Or maybe I can't coz I had to ask about the head tossing one. :lol:)

7. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    If you have ST DVD on tricks I bet you can easily just teach your pups on your own. I find I do best when I have school like environment with homework, deadlines and study groups of like minded people to hang with:yes: so on line classes are great for me. Tricks classes are great that ST gives very detailed instructions and answers EVERY question people post. She is great at that, remembers who is what and where and gives good suggestions. The classes remain on website so I keep returning to them and watch things over and over again.
    You do have Shaping Seminar from recallers 3, right? It is my current bible on shaping. Shaping course is terrific, for one it is simpler than recallers and not as chatty so it leaves more time to actually train your dog than keep in touch with what everyone is posting. I found it to be a slight problem with last recallers, just could not keep up with everyone's posts and train my dogs at same time. Say Yes took it into account and is making next courses simpler. They are delaying contact course which has been couple of years into making for few weeks so we can finish on shaping as to not overwhelm everyone.

8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    another thought- what about teaching dog to put toys into basket and keep moving basket higher and higher thus making them toss the toy? I am just thinking out loud what could work?
    Also if you are not in recallers friends on FB group you should join, great place to ask many questions as tons of people there are highly knowledgeable

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  9. romeosangiovese

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    Oh! Great idea on that basket! They know how to put stuff in baskets already, so raising it would be pretty easy. I'm gonna try that to see how that goes too. So many ways to train one behaviour! :yes:

I got Recallers 1.0, then did a video and got Recallers 2.0 for free, and did another video, but never got Recallers 3.0. I assumed it was coz I didn't pay for Recallers 2.0? I was very sad about that.

What's the link to the Recallers FB group? I'd love to join!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    oh nooo! Did you ask Melissa or Jason? There was problem of some clips submitted, some of them I think because music rights did not translate from country to country restrictions etc so they got thrown out by youtube. I know it is water under the bridge now but you should still contact Melissa [email protected] and just check with her IMHO