Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My groomer shaved my Sheltie!!!!!

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Maggy and Katy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Maggy and Katy

Maggy and Katy Forums Novice

Apr 12, 2008
    Florida
    I took my sheltie Maggy who is 6 to the groomers today and when they brought her out she had maybe a 1/2 an inch of hair. I usually bath her and trim her up my self. I never told the groomer who groomed her to shave her, or to give her a close hair cut. I had my other sheltie with me who has beautiful hair and I said I wanted it long like Katy's, but trimmed it up a little for the summer. She still has a bushy tail. But my heart is broken. I did get a full refund, but my main concern is will the outer coat grow back? She has been shaved to her under coat. I would have thought the groomer would have realized she was a sheltie not a ****zu. Any advice to comfort me??

2. graydawntreader

graydawntreader Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
    St. Marys, GA
    I think that her coat will grow back, with several months. It may be coarser than before though.

3. Spak

Spak Forums Regular

Feb 24, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    It will grow back, but it will take time.

Keep her from being in the bright sun for extended periods of time this summer, as the Sheltie's undercoat helps protect against sunburn.

I wonder about that groomer. The groomer I work with wouldn't shave a Sheltie (or any other dog with an undercoat) unless she ABSOLUTELY had to, ie: the dog was so matted she couldn't undo it, or something gummy had spilled in the fur.

I wouldn't go back there, that's for sure!

4. blacknblue

blacknblue Forums Regular

Feb 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I think it will grow back ok, but may have awkward stages in the mean time. A friend of mine had her sheltie partially shaved for medical reasons and the hair is coming back fine.

This is the reason I'm afraid to take mine to a groomer. I would love to have their undercoats blown out and feet trimmed by a professional, but I hear so many people who have their dogs shaved without their consent. :(

5. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    I have never had a problem with any groomer I took Jewel to. They always followed my wishes. I would always get just a slight trim around the butt etc. and never had a bad experience. I once had a short cut done on her because of a skin ailment. The fur grew back fine was a little coarser though so I just had the groomer give her hot oil treatments and that helped.:smile2:

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh poor Maggy and poor you! I can understand your feelings. But rest assured, her coat will grow back. :yes: It will come in lighter for the summer months, and then bulk up when her winter coat grows in. One of my girls had a leg shaved to the skin for surgery last year and we thought the fur would never grow back, but it did. It took a solid six months though, so don't despair. :sadsmile:

My three don't go to groomers either, I do them myself. I have had breeds requiring grooming and my best advice is to always get references and check them before you entrust your dog to any professional, whether vet, petsitter or groomer. There are some very UNprofessionals out there! :uhoh:

At least it's spring, and Maggy won't need a coat! :winkgrin:

7. Maggy and Katy

Maggy and Katy Forums Novice

Apr 12, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks everyone, Maggy's fur was really not as nice as it was before I had her spayed when she was 1 and half, it began to get coarse on the hind legs, so I have always groomed her myself and trimmed her up if needed. Her hair around her collar always gets really long and in her mouth when she eats. But my other Shelite Katy has beautiful hair, they are not from the same litter or even related, but you never know. I guess I can just get her a good conditioner, does anyone know of one that I can do myself? It is so back breaking to lean over in the tub to wash her after having surgery. I am looking into that pet bath on legs. At least she is about to move to Florida and won't need the coat, but she will be indoors most of the time. Looks like night time walks for us. That's the thing that makes me so mad, she was not matted or knotty at all. I brushed her out before I took her in. She gets a lot of strange reactions from my neighbors. They all think I got a new dog!!!

8. tehluhlah

tehluhlah Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Mane n Tail is a great conditioner to encourage hair to grow and be softer. I always used this stuff on my horses who rubbed their tails, and it works great for dogs too.

You can but it in pretty much any supermarket or discount store, but I think its still a bit cheaper if bought from a tack shop :wink2:

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Shelties' coats change as they age, and they're not fully mature until at least three. It's not likely that the spaying caused the change; it's more likely that she's maturing into her adult coat.

I use either Plush Puppy http://www.plushpuppy.net/shampoos.htm
    or Chris Christensen (http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...archsubcats/true/PgStart/1/PAGERMAXITEMS/9999). Plush Puppy has a lovely conditioning shampoo and a silk protein conditioner. I also like the spray-on Quick Fix consitioner. Chris Christenson has a good Day to Day shampoo and conditioner. I also use the Ice on Ice between shampoos. Plush Puppy also has a sunscreen if you're worried about sunburn. But remember: hair grows back, and Sheltie hair, like people hair, may change as the Sheltie ages. :yes:

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I took Callie to a groomer last fall and asked to have her rear end trimmed up. She did but she also trimmed the end of her tail- straight across like a haircut. I was crushed and didn't want anyone to see her like that. It's all better now though.