Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What Food?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by adellelauren, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Actually, for anyone interested in factual information on what goes into our pet's food, I recommend the newsletters issued by Mercola integrative wellness veterinarian Dr. Karen Becker. They are free to subscribe to and come out several times a week. Her information is always fact-based and offers substantial sources.

Here's one this week that describes what "by-products" really are, called Decoding the Pet Food Industry:
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/04/11/pet-food-contains-poultry.aspx

You can subscribe to her newsletters at http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/dr-karen-becker.aspx

2. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :gaah I guess I should have re-phrased what I said, instead I should have said "I love how this BB white fish and potatoes smells like fish, I am not sure where the fish smell is coming from, but I'm glad it's not coming from my washing machine, therefore, I'm really glad it's coming from the bag of dogfood-it makes it seem as though the fish is freshly caught and mixed in with the nice looking kibble in the bag. I presume the fish is not freshly caught, but no matter, I am still going to give it to my dog because I like the ingredients listed on the bag of BB. While I am not sure it is white fish, I do sense the fresh aroma of Cod. No, it doesn't quite smell like the fresh Cod my husband and I eat, but it is a familiar smell coming from that nice bag of BB. Next time I want to feed my dog fish, maybe I should go down to the lake 1/2 from my house and catch some- oh, but first, maybe I should test the water quality of the lake."
    Actually, I meant to say the Bay, I don't believe you can get white fish like Cod from a lake.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I recommend Mercola/Becker, too! He's the one who set me off on this informational journey.

4. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I fed BB before and didn't feel like I was doing my dog an injustice. They only ate if for about 2 months by they did just fine on it. I moved one because I found something that was better for my pack. I wasn't trying to persuade you to use a different food. The first response I suggested BB actually. I do think it's a decent kibble for the price you pay.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Yes, Cod is a saltwater fish- very tasty and at one time heavily overfished.
    makes great fish and chips:winkgrin:

6. pilotJen

pilotJen Forums Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Allentown, pa
    Enjoy the puppy!

Congrats on your first Sheltie! We too have our first Sheltie, Finnegan, who turned one year old in February. Fun breed - all that your read. Very smart, quick learners and masters of making you do anything they want! Because they are so cute and wonderful, we all spend lots of time searching for the best of everything for them in return - especially food! Our other dog (english setter) was on Nutro Natural small bites and doing what we thought was fine, but she was a rescue and has battled sensitive stomach issues. Upon getting our Sheltie I started to tap into the wealth of information here on this site and do my food research. The dog food advisor site is a fantastic place to get a thorough education about ingredients. Decided that a diet that featured protein vs grain was a better choice, so I stopped buying the Nutro. For the last 6 months I have had both dogs on Fromm Grain free. It has worked out fine for both dogs and is a very high quality food, but anything on the five star list from dog food advisor is probably great! My advice - Choose a price point that you can live with for years, choose a food that is easily obtainable based on your location, and decide the balance of protien, carbs and fat based on the activity(ies) your dog will be doing. I.E. more active or dogs in agility may require more protein. MOST IMPORTANT - play with your pup and enjoy!

7. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    Low fat food

Hi everyone, its me again! This time looking for a good less expensive low fat dry dogfood. Max has pancreas issues so we have him royal canin prescription low fat. We have to cut back and have looked at several foods and the best rated is Arcana light and fit. Your thoughts?

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Bacca is both hypo-thyroid and has liver concerns (still yet to be 100% diagnosed, even though its been over two years know). Though he is only 4 years old.

I'm a fan of grain-free diet and have had both my pups on Now! Senior and Weight Management. It's lower protein and lower fat. Both the dogs love it and the ingredient list is top notch.

I'm not a fan of Royal Canin. It's got a loyal following, I think largely because of excellent advertising.

I did not know that Acana finally produced a lite diet. My dogs were on that food for awhile but I had to take them off because of the protein and fat levels.

The Now! Senior is another good alternative .

9. pixgal

pixgal Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012
    Beaverton Or.
    I haven't read all the post. I can only say that I always collect the free samples at the shows. I keep them in my car. I give them out to those people on the highways asking for money. If they have a dog with them I give them a couple bags of the samples. If I gave them money I don't think they would buy dog food.

10. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    He does have pancreatic issues so i need low fat. You think the now senior and weight managements would be fine. I am cooking for him and giving supplements but afraid he is ot getting all he needs.