Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pip's Ears

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Aearoniel, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Aearoniel

Aearoniel Forums Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    o
    Hello everyone,

I've read most of the tipping threads but until it happens it's quite difficult to figure it all out!

Pip's ears have changed a bit since he arrived... or rather one of them has! His right ear seems to be higher than the left (sorry the image is out of focus he moved!)

now do I need to do anything with this yet or as it is still tipped wait?

Attached Files:

2. Cliff

Cliff Forums Regular

Nov 7, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I am really not qualified to answer your question, just wanted to say that is one cute pup!

cliff

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I recommend gluing them if you want nice, evenly tipped ears.

4. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Ears

I agree with what Chris says!!! Is your cocker spaniel an English Cocker?Very pretty!!

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I would agree that if you want the tip, go ahead and glue or tape. You can never be sure how they will change over the months if you leave them free, but gluing and taping gives you a better chance of getting them to tip.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

For sure, if you want tipped ears, NOW is the time....but just know that you have to keep at it for about until pup is 1 year old.

I personally prefer it and recommend it, but it is a personal choice.

7. Aearoniel

Aearoniel Forums Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    o
    Since I posted this I've been to see lots of breeders and Pip's breeder and have a course of action. Gluing and bracing isn't something that is done a lot over here they called it the "American Ear Tip" :lol: and I think it's seen as a last resort. Also seeing as I can get help with gluing so I get it right we are using the Kaolin Poultice method, more adjusting to do to get the right amount on to prevent heavy ears or prick ears but very much easier to apply and remove if I get it wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8isyVFDVBkE

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Well, this is new! And an interesting alternative.

It reminds me of when I was growing up and we had our first Sheltie, and we used chewing gum to "weigh" down Callie's ears. Similar concept, it seems, and much easier then glueing.

That being said it does not address bracing between the ears, which is equally as important. You want the ears tipped, yet alert. You only get alert if they are trained to stand.

Some dogs, like my Bacca, have every thin ear cartilege and so yes his ears are tipped but they also tend to flop to the side.....hound dog ears. These ears need to be braced either with glue or tape.

9. Aearoniel

Aearoniel Forums Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    o
    It is working really well, I like the fact I can adjust them regularly with minimal fuss.

In the UK very little if any bracing goes on that I've seen, unless it's all happening in secret. He's not going to be shown but I'd like to avoid pricked ears if possible :smile2: