Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Grooming help!

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by mjl7163, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mjl7163

mjl7163 Forums Novice

Feb 6, 2012
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi!

I have a 5 month old Sheltie puppy- and she is my first sheltie and love her to death! I've never had a dog that I have to groom and I'm confused on how to go about his process. When she was around 3 months, I took her to the groomer just to clean up her hair for a little trim.

How often do I need to take her to the groomer? I don't feel comfortable cutting the hair myself, but I heard you can brush daily to reduce the times you go to the groomer?

I just want to make sure I do this right, she has a gorgeous coat and I don't want to ruin it somehow! Thanks :)

2. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi! Don't cut the fur, and don't let a groomer cut the fur. Most people here will trim paws, and they will post with their very helpful tips. I don't trim anything, but that is just me.
    A sheltie's fur should not be cut or trimmed though, it is meant to be long. Weekly brushings with a good pin brush will make all the difference, and the coat will remain beautiful if you keep up with it.
    Welcome to our forum! Do you have pics of your pup for us to see? :yes:

3. Eagle

Eagle Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I've been trying to learn myself. If you look through the threads, there is one titled Grooming Videos. It is a series of videos online done by a collie rescue group. I found those very helpful.

Good Luck.

4. pixgal

pixgal Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012
    Beaverton Or.
    I was told to never brush them dry.
    Maybe someone can comment on that.
    I've been using a mist bottle.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
  6. Dexter'sMom

Dexter'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011
    Ottawa Ont Canada
  7. xerospin

xerospin Forums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010
    Taiwan
    I feel like the book is too advanced for novice owners whos never had to groom a dog before. Shelties need to be brushed, not trimmed!! Especially if you are not showing them :p the only area that should be trimmed is the fur under the foot,the ears and skirt you can leave alone as it is.

Get a pin brush and start line brushing is a good way to start!

8. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey! As someone who knows nothing about grooming, I can relate. I take my sheltie to the groomer twice a year. They clean up her feet which get pretty out of control in the six months, they make her pants not look so out on control, and she do shave/trim an area by her bum but that's my request in case she gets diarrhea it makes it easier. They usually trim up her bib to make it have the right shape, too. I make sure to tell them not to SHAVE her anywhere. I recently moved so have to find a new groomer... I try to find one that has experience w/Shelties. I've had fabulous luck on Craig's list as I have two mixes who get groomed every 2 months so we have used a variety of groomers. Look on Craig's list over going to PetCo or something as they charge a ton more and usually don't even do as good a job!

9. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    It's pretty easy when they're young because her undercoat hasn't filled in yet. What you want to do is brush her often enough to prevent any matting; once a week or so should be plenty. Main problem areas are behind/below the ears and the haunches/rump, but you should brush her out her all over. If you find any tangles on her underbelly or between her hind legs, *carefully* cut them out with scisors or clippers, it's too sensitive down there to comb them out. And don't forget her tail.

I have a cordless clipper, I keep the whispy fur underneath from where the rib cage ends to the behind, trimmed to a little less than an inch. I also trim the fur around those problem areas by drawing it straight up with a rake or comb and clipping the extra, hidden length off the top, because reducing that length makes it easier to take care of. By trimming it that way there are no clipper marks or uneven patches of fur. Bot note, if you ever attempt this, do *not* use the guide combs that fit onto the clippers, your poor dog will be embarassed for months after!

Once her undercoat starts to fill in, you'll need an undercoat rake, dead undercoat is a major source of sheding and can be uncomfortable for the dog... but you've got a ways to go before you'll need to worry about that

10. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    I do not use the scissors much on Danny Boy. Under his feet between the toes, around his feet so he doesn't have grinch feet, and the back of his back legs (I trim a nice straight line so it looks neat) and that is it unless he has knots and tangles to be cut out. The rest is brushing.